Randy Getz and Pre War Dobros

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.
mdrs
Founding Member

Randy Getz and Pre War Dobros

Post by mdrs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm

I've recently gotten into open tunings, and subsequently into resonator guitars. After owning a couple of really sweet new National Resonators, I started to lust after old ones. I've always dug Duane Allman's "Little Martha", and particularly loved the tone he got on the old Dobro guitar he played on that tune.

After watching eBay for a couple of years, and after my usual sources not coming up with any, I finally found a really cool old pre war model 27, in a rare color scheme a couple of months ago. See here;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5241

In doing a bunch of research before buying that 1936/1937 Dobro, I came across very little hard information about pre war Dobros. It's amazing how little factual info there is. I did come across an excellent article, the best info I could find. It was written by a fella named Randy Getz. Randy listed his e mail addy at the end of his article, and I was surprised to see that his e mail server was the same as mine!! :shock:

Long story short, Randy lives about 20 minutes from me!! I kid you not!! And, I finally was able to have Randy out to my home for a visit today.

Randy is a wonderful gentleman. A retired Navy man, he's been keenly interested in Bluegrass music, and has certainly gotten into pre war Dobros in a big way. He is a real expert on them. And, he has a world class collection of pre war Dobros. I must say that I learned a ton about Dobros, and really appreciated Randy sharing all this with me!! I told him that he really NEEDS to write a book about pre war Dobros...........

Randy brought out five representative guitars and graciously allowed me to play them all, as well as photograph them. They were all set up high, to be played "lap slide" style, which I can't do!!! Well, can't do yet, make that, as I'm going to try to learn to play lapstyle. In any event, I used a slide, and played them the "standard" way, meaning holding them in front of my chest. I was able to play even the square neck Dobros in this fashion.

One was better than the next!! What amazing old guitars there are!! Here are some quick photos I took;

Model 85;

Model 27 Square Neck;

Model 27 Round Neck;

Note that this particular Model 27 is a close "relative" to my Dobro, being only a couple dozen serial numbers apart. You can see Randy's, and then mine as the last two guitars on the right in the following photo, which is quite a line up of pre war Dobros (l. to r. Model 85, Model 27 Square Neck, and two Model 27 Round Necks);

Model 37 Square Neck;

A cool Tenor Dobro, made for the banjo players of that era, so that they could play it the same as they'd play their banjos;

I'd encourage you to take a few minutes and read Randy's excellent and informative article on pre war Dobros;

http://www.resoguit.com/getz/prewar.doc

Thanks to Randy Getz, for graciously sharing his knowledge, and his wonderful old Pre War Dobros!! :wave: :wave:

Randy is a new member of The String Network. Feel free to ask him any and all questions you may have, here in this thread. I'll PM Randy to be sure he sees this thread.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Rampdog
Charter Member

Re: Randy Getz and Pre War Dobros

Post by Rampdog » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 am

Thanks for puttin that up Doc... Did he happen to have any of the original cases those came in?

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 am

Most of them had newer cases Randy had purchased, in order to protect them better. You know, I didn't even ask him about original cases!! That's a good question. I'd be interested to see if he has any of the originals, and what kind of cases they typically came in.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

bgdobro

Post by bgdobro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:06 am

Don, thank you for your kind remarks about me and my instruments, I really enjoyed meeting you and Dave yesterday. I have all the cases that came with the guitars when I purchased them, but most are the old cheap chipboard cases of the era, I may have one or two hardshell cases but they are in pretty rough shape. Looking forward to our next get together and I will bring along some different instruments for you to look at. regards, Randy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you, Randy!! What a treat to see you, and your Dobros!!
Don