For Don's perusal.

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
Fingers
Charter Member

For Don's perusal.

Post by Fingers » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Fingers
Charter Member

Re: For Don's perusal.

Post by Fingers » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:03 pm

I must say it looks 10% legit and supposedly this "celebrity" owner has more vintage instruments he is letting go. Be sure and give me a jingle so we can go get a beer or have dinner, when you are in LA to suss out his collection Don. :)

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Cool old guitar, Lister. Book value is $4600 in low condition, to $6300 in high condition. At $14,700, their asking price seems optimistic. It also doesn't strike me as being in "excellent" condition, though it is in decent shape, considering that it's 120 years old!!! :eek:

I wonder who this "celebrity" is?
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Interesting.......
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Lister, I've never seen one of these in person. Mostly I've been interested in Martins in the more "modern" era, say from about the late '20's through 1944 mostly. Martin started building guitars that could withstand the increased tension of steel strings in the late 20's. Prior to about 1928 or so, the guitars were more lightly built and braced, and they used gut strings which put far less tension on the instrument. You just don't see the early ones around that much. I think that most folks that have these older Martins tend to use silk and steel strings, which put much less pressure on the guitar.

So, this guitar might not bring me to L.A.. But, if I do, I'd sure appreciate that beer!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296