Another One!

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Another One!

Post by splitting hare » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Kind of a Santana feel on this one...

https://soundcloud.com/the-scarlet-love ... dy-water-1

Our young keyboard player is actually a trumpet major at Lee University in nearby Cleveland, TN and this is the first time I ever recorded any kind of brass. And I take full credit for the vibraslap that is heard at random thru the song...it was actually done on a Korg N1 synth - it took me FOREVER to find it on there without a manual of any sort - I almost went out and bought a real vibraslap! lol Kat actually vetoed that idea (even though she is the percussionist) saying that we would probably never use it again (although we do from time to time cover Crazy Train.

Anyway, this is a fun tune but could never really think of a suitable ending...for some reason we decided to just have a simple rockin' ending a la Foo Fighter style in which we said, "let's just 'Foo it' at the end!"

Hope you enjoy!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Another One!

Post by mdrs » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Eric, good song, well recorded. I know we are a guitar forum, but I must say, I love the drums!

Did you mic and record Kat's drums?

I enjoyed this!! :horns:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 pm

mdrs wrote:Eric, good song, well recorded. I know we are a guitar forum, but I must say, I love the drums!

Did you mic and record Kat's drums?

I enjoyed this!! :horns:
Thank you, Don! Yes, in all the recordings I have shared over the years, the drums are ALWAYS an acoustic kit that is mic'd up and recorded. Kat has a various number of kits, snares, cymbals, etc. that she picks and chooses from - mostly Ludwig drums - the toms are often her from her Ludwig Legacy BEC (Bun E. Carlos) kit: the snare is often her Ludwig 402 (perhaps the most recorded snare drum ever); Zildgian and Paiste cymbals; and the kick drum is mostly a custom one built from a local boutique and now defunct builder (that she worked for) called Big Brew. But it can vary.

When we first started home recording it was the drums I learned to focus on - you know the expression, "if Mama isn't happy, ain't no one happy!" :) It wasn't just that, though - everything is important but drums drive the song, IMO. Our recording environment, really kinda sucks but we make the most of it! :) It is a small room with poor reflection that I have treated to the best of my limited abilities and generally I try to remove the actual room from the recording and create another one with reverb and such - and keep it as human and unprocessed as much as possible. I think we have done close to 100 home recordings and I don't think I have had the drum mic's set up the exact same way ever!

Sure, it would be a lot easier to get one of those Roland V-Pro kits or something...but it would be a lot less fun!

Thanks for the good words! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun May 01, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks for that explaination, Eric.

No question in my mind that the phrase, "Yes, Dear!", is, indeed, the most important in any marrige. :wave:

In spite of playing guitar since about age 8 or 9, usually the very first thing I notice in any band is the drummer. I've seen great bands that didn't have a great guitarist. But, I'm not sure I've ever seen a great band that didn't have a great drummer.

The sound of the snare, IMO, is critical. There is a sound that I've heard in many, many classic rock bands, that I really like. I describe it as a flat, thick, "thwack", and I'm always speaking with my drummer son about that. Maybe that's the Ludwig 402???

One of my house mates in med school was a drummer, and had his kit set up in the same room as his really good stereo. For about 2 years, I'd play for about an hour a couple times a week, after getting home from school. I had a kit here at home until my son became a drummer, and he took the kit. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting a kit to have around. For totally unscientific reasons, I always think I'd want a Ludwig kit. One of my best music buds has a basement full of vintage drums. I've been tempted to get something from him, but if I do take the plunge, I think a new kit, fairly simple, would be best, for me.......though, maybe I need a Ludwig 402??

BTW, if Kat has an interest in vintage drums, I'd be happy to put you guys in touch with my bud. Let me know. He is in his 70's, and is in selling mode.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sun May 01, 2016 10:14 am

Kat has always been partial to Ludwig and Slingerland and has other likes and dislikes - despite their popularity and how they are touted as the top line by some, she has never been a huge DW fan. Like guitars everyone has their preferences. The 402 snare is her favorite and it is the one she always plays live and the one we record with the majority of the time - that said we have gotten some other nice snare sounds out of others - years ago when we recorded our version of How High the Moon and A Shot in the Dark, we used a vintage Ludwig Jazzfest snare. And she has used many others. In the end though, I think having any good quality snare with good heads AND properly tuned is going to give you good results. And I agree with you about the snare sound being critical - live and on record!
mdrs wrote:BTW, if Kat has an interest in vintage drums, I'd be happy to put you guys in touch with my bud. Let me know. He is in his 70's, and is in selling mode
Sshhh!!!! How much is it gonna cost me to keep you quiet? :) :twisted: :D Actually, she does have a mild interest in vintage stuff and has a LOT of contacts in that regard. Still, if she is looking for something in particular I will be sure to let you know and maybe she can get in touch with your bud. :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun May 01, 2016 11:10 am

Eric, mums the word, though my bud, Dave, had a music store for about 40 years. He's a Jazz guitarist, but his shop gave all kinds of lessons, including drums. I'd say that about half or more of his store was filled with used drums for sale. I suspect that his basement stash is the "good stuff" from what he had before he sold the store.

But, I won't tell Kat.

:horns:
Don

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sun May 01, 2016 11:56 am

That's a really cool song Eric! I really like the restraint that you have.....you could have easily ripped out a long solo and wailed, but kept it short and sweet....I know that is backwards thinking for a guitar player, but sometimes it's nice to hear. Kind of left me wanting more, but totally in a good way. The trumpet is a really cool addition that is kind of out of left field, but really works well with the song. I'm usually not a fan of brass in rock, but if done right, it can work really, really well. And I will definitely agree with Don about the drum sound.....sounds really good. You've got a real "live" sound to the drums that I personally like to hear. I know that drums have to be compressed a bit, but too many times, there is too much on the drums and it takes away from that "live" feeling and makes them sound flat.....

Kyle has recently started getting into recording. I got him a cheap interface and he downloaded the free version of Audacity, which will help him get his feet wet. He's had a few small issues here and there, but he's done a real good job of figuring out what was wrong and fixing it. I try to help him all I can, but my limited knowledge sometimes isn't much help. For the cheap, thrown together little setup (a couple of crappy mics, the interface, and the free version of Audacity is pretty much it...)he's got, he's done some pretty good recordings.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sun May 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Greg!!! The trumpet was a fun addition to make to this song (especially in the 2nd verse where we added multiple trumpets!) and it adds to the sort of Latin-y feel we were going for - Santana-ish almost. Have thought about throwing some more hand percussion and maybe congas on it but I think we are probably going to keep it as is.

GREAT for Kyle learning about recording - it is SO much fun! :thumb: Is he just recording himself right now or has he done stuff with other kids, too? I forget, does he have a band right now? Would love to hear some of his stuff and am amazed how far he has progressed for as young as he is! You have done well in guiding him, sir! :thumb: :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sun May 01, 2016 1:30 pm

He's done some recording himself and also with a band. A few years ago the place he takes drum and guitar lessons from did a recording workshop. They handpicked students and set up 2 bands to learn, rehearse, and record about 3 songs per band. The guitar teacher did the recording/production. He is extremely experienced in the process and really taught the kids a lot. He's also a bit of a perfectionist and really drove the kids pretty hard (but not in a bad way) about making it really good, and it ended up being great. All the drums are electric, which I'm not a big fan of, but he has them dialed in and sounding pretty authentic. The guitars are all Line 6 POD and sound great as well. They did Layla, More Than A Feeling, and an original written by the singer when she was 14. All the kids in this band were 13-16 at the time they did this.....here's he original, "When She Comes Around":

https://soundcloud.com/guitargreg1969/0 ... mes-around

Here's one that he did himself about a year ago. This was one of the first recordings he did. He did all the bass, drums, and guitars. He'd probably be pissed at me for sharing it since it's a little messy, but for being one of the first times he's ever done it, I thought it was pretty good. I think you'll recognize the song..... :-)

https://soundcloud.com/guitargreg1969/linus-and-lucy

Here's a more recent one. He was determined to write a song in an odd time signature and this is the result. IIRC, it moves between 3 different ones......honestly, it's a little beyond me..... LOL Again, he did the drums, bass, and all guitars. He's added a few more things to it a week or so ago, but I haven't got it from him to upload it yet. I'll share it when I get it.

https://soundcloud.com/guitargreg1969/rainy-day-demo

He's kind of got about 3 or 4 bands going, not to mention jazz band, marching band in the fall, and concert band in the spring at school Every summer the place he takes lessons from does a rock band summer camp. They group the kids up into bands, each band then learns 2 or 3 songs, and at the end of the summer they play a concert at Cain's Ballroom. The past few years he's been in 3 or 4 bands on mostly drums, but also bass (he's a really good bass player), or guitar(he's getting pretty good at it too).....This summer he'll be in 3 bands, 2 on drums, 1 on either bass or guitar, not sure yet. One of the bands from the past few years has kind of stayed together and they get together occasionally to jam. It's the band in the first soundcloud link, minus one or two. One of the bands for this summer has already started to get together and jam too. And a few of the kids in his school jazz band get together occasionally to play some jazz. Needless to say, he keeps pretty busy with music. He says that he wants to major in music and make a career out of it somehow. I think that he can do it and we're behind him 100% in doing so.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Mon May 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Wow! That is some great stuff Kyle is doing there - I am very careful to use the word "prodigy" but he is quite talented and versatile not only on the instruments but in genres - especially at such a young age. I was just starting to pick up the guitar around that time and plucking my way through Smoke on The Water and Stairway, etc! :eek: :D

Linus and Lucy is a big undertaking (and my all time favorite song - if I had to choose one) - kudos to Kyle for being up to that challenge. :rawk: Thanks for sharing these, Greg - they are great!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff