Country as a hoe handle!

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Country as a hoe handle!

Post by splitting hare » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:02 am

Something different.

Yes, we are a rock and roll band, however... we have this one original tune that is, well very country...in the traditional sense of country music. We entered NPR's TIny Desk Concert Series in which a band has to perform...with a desk in the background, foreground, wherever...there just has to be a desk involved! So we got unelectrified and sat down and belted out 2 different versions of our song Hill Country Girl. Here is the outtake of one version with Travis, our bass player playing a baritone. Travis' daughter, who some of you may recall, plays keys with us from time to time, and plays a melodica for the solo in this song. Alas, she could not take part in this contest since it is sponsored by a beer company, she is under 21 and not allowed. We recruited another talented local cat, a great keyboard player and singer (who never played a melodica before a couple days ago) to sit in with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh32eLbKmG0

This is not the version we submitted for the concert series. The one we did send in has Travis playing an upright electric bass which actually sounds better and my guitar comes through better on it since I am not competing sonically with the baritone! BTW, my part is the EASIEST slide guitar part EVER, tuned in open E. Will have a studio mix of this to share here very soon. Enjoy!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Country as a hoe handle!

Post by mdrs » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Very cool, Eric!

I only had a chance to listen on my cheapo laptop......I like the idea of an upright bass. I bet it sounds, AND looks cooler, especially in the context of this "country" song.

I really like the way Kat started out the song on the drum, as you really had no idea where it was going, and then when the rest of you joined in, it made sense.

I'd like to hear the singer's voice more clearly. But, again, take that with a big grain of salt, as my super expensive Dell laptop :? has speakers that are pretty pitiful.

Look forward to seeing/hearing the finished product.

And, BTW, who you callin' a "hoe"???

:snax:

:)
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for the good words, Don! :thumb:

The sound quality of this video and the one we submitted was rather tinny and just recorded onto an IPad. The picture quality is kind of grainy too but the contest is more about the quality, originality, and appeal of the music itself rather than the production (good thing!) :)

As mentioned, we do have the full scale version of this we recorded (much better sound quality) that we will be laying the harmonies down on tonight and hopefully will have a working mix to be uploaded in the next couple of days. It has everything - full drums, mandolin, piano, melodica, baritone guitar, and of course my Slide Guitar 101 - but on electric, with a tad amount of tremelo from the old Bandmaster Reverb. We don't like to layer to many parts on our recordings but for this one, we wanted some extra stuff! Stay tuned! :snax: :D
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:40 pm

Lookin' forward to it.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296