Twist And Shout

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Twist And Shout

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Here you go, Don. I only had two hours this afternoon so the drums aren't really done and the mixing is very rough (there are a few parts that need to be re-recorded). However, givin the amount of time I had to learn, record and mix it, I don't think it's too bad...

Here you go:
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Twist And Shout

Post by mdrs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm

I love it, Craig!!

Your bass is thunderin! I dig the vocals. If you had time, I've love to hear more layering of your vocs on the harmonies. The drums sound fine to me, too.

Before your final take, scream at the top of your lungs for about an hour. Once you've got your vocal cords all gravely, then do the lead voc one more time!!

In all seriousness, it sounds awesome. I'd say two hours well spent!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I actually did the first take very gravelly. Then, I went back and redid it clean. I was torn between emulating John's voice and doing my own....
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:23 am

Craig wrote:I actually did the first take very gravelly. Then, I went back and redid it clean. I was torn between emulating John's voice and doing my own....
Post both???

Craig, how many layers of vocals can you do with your recording rig?
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm

I haven't found the ceiling yet. I've done 24 tracks without a hitch. Could probably do more if I needed to.
Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:07 am

Craig wrote:I haven't found the ceiling yet. I've done 24 tracks without a hitch. Could probably do more if I needed to.
Personally, I always love your vocals. I'd love to hear an "over the top" layering on the backing vocals, just for fun!!

Have you ever done "Moondance"?? :wave:
Don

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:20 am

I dig it! Twist and Shout is ALWAYS a fun tune to play and listen to. Nice job for a quick one! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:52 pm

I'd love to do a song that is heavy on the harmonies. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks again, Eric. There are a lot of things I'd change if I were to do it again, but every time I record, it's a learning experience.
Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:25 am

Craig wrote:I'd love to do a song that is heavy on the harmonies. I'll give it some thought.
Ever do "Paperback Writer"? The intro has layered harmonies, and the background vocs could be layered as well, I'd think.
Don

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:15 am

I haven't. I'm looking at several possible songs. I will add it to the list.
Craig Brophy