Seven Years

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Seven Years

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 am

More of an experiment, really... The end is strange for now, but my intention is to have it fall into an acoustic instrumental.

Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Mudcat
Charter Member

Re: Seven Years

Post by Mudcat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:19 am

This is REALLY COOL! Great job on the drum programming and all of the parts!

My only critique (and this is completely subjective) is I would pan the bass center and move the electric rhythm part to the left side. This is just because I prefer to have the low frequencies centered in the mix. Sounds very cool as is, but reminds me a bit of how instruments tended to be panned back in the sixties.
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcat
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcatsdemos

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55 am

Interesting idea! I will give that a try, later today, and see how it sounds.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:11 am

Hey! Not bad! Sonically, the bass and vocals share that center space more efficiently than the vocals and guitar do. I've always done left pan on the bass and right pan on the rhythm (with each one at about 25-30%). I may have to change that in the future.
Craig Brophy

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Nice! :rawk: :thumb: I listened to this in passing a couple days ago but didn't find the time to comment on it. LOVE the blend of guitars and the phrasing during the solo. Despite the ending being a little strange as you say, to me there is no such thing as too strange, especially when you are in an experimental or developmental stage - I kinda like how it sort of falls apart there... yeah it, begs to have some kind of acoustic outro, or even perhaps some kind of switch from stereo to mono... that might be kind of neat, too.

Regarding Tracy's mention of panning... I have always and continue to be intrigued how instruments are panned during a mix. Not sure if there are any set rules for it but in general, I have always mixed vocals and bass pretty much dead center, as well as the kick drum.. sometimes moving that just a tad off center in case there is a little masking. Same thing with the snare... that never varies far from center either, if any. Everything else is pretty much whatever seems to work. A lead guitar will generally take center but sometimes I offset it as well.

Loving hearing what you are ALL doing right now... and Craig, you have been coming up with some great stuff here lately. :thumb: Haven't had time to do any recording as all free time has been spent rehearsing for upcoming shows, etc. - which is a GOOD thing. But we are hoping to do some more recording here soon, probably in another month or so.
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks for the comments! I hope you can get a few recordings together, in the future. I love hearing the music you guys post!
Craig Brophy