I'm Looking Through You

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

I'm Looking Through You

Post by Craig » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:29 am

I literally learned, recorded and mixed this in two hours, this morning. So...by request (my wife asked me to record it):

Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Mudcat
Charter Member

Re: I'm Looking Through You

Post by Mudcat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Very cool! Sounds great on my laptop. Will listen again on cans later.
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcat
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcatsdemos

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Two hours? :shock: DAY-UMN! Super job! :thumb: Love the vocals and how you hit the "You're not the same" line. Harmonies are very nice, mix is great. The only thing (and this is VERY subjective and over-critiquing - especially since you accomplished this in the amount of time you did), is that I would like to hear a different tone on the electric guitar riffs, something perhaps a little thicker? Or perhaps some kind of semi or hollow body sound? Again, I am being VERY picky! LOL Another great job on a classic Beatles tune!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:20 pm

Love it, Craig. GREAT vocals........ :horns:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks, guys!

Eric, all of the guitar sounds are done with my acoustic. Even the "electric" sound. I decided to use the acoustic because I thought it would better approximate the semi-acoustic sound then my Fender would. I noticed that the effect I used made it sound a bit thin, but wasn't sure if it was noticeable enough to change. Apparently, it was! Thanks for the critique. I ALWAYS appreciate it!
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 am

I never would have guessed that was your acoustic doing the electric parts. Cool! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Nice! Love the guitar sounds, actually- they're 'different', and tonally stay out of the way of the rest of the tracks.

Izzatt a fuzz in some parts? Or just the way the acoustic sounds through overdrive/distortion?

I've discovered how much I love doing Beatles tunes now; been rocking up "Day Tripper" and "Things We Said Today"- the latter using octave up and down fuzz, heavy on the octave-down, for leads and fills and various bits. What a blast!
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am

The acoustic is run through an ampsim in my DAW (plex and 4x12) to get the sound. Yeah, Beatles stuff is amazing but can also be a real chore. Especially some of the harmony parts!
Craig Brophy

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:00 am

Craig wrote:The acoustic is run through an ampsim in my DAW (plex and 4x12) to get the sound.

It sounds nice 'n' fuzzy in certain parts. :cool: :thumb: :rawk:

Is some miked, and some plugged-in/direct?
Craig wrote:Yeah, Beatles stuff is amazing but can also be a real chore. Especially some of the harmony parts!
:blush: I'm leaving the singing- great harmonies, too, particularly on "Things We said Today"- to others who do that MUCH better than I, while I'm getting to enjoy indulging in running amok on my guitar on these Beatles songs. Next up might be "Hey, Bulldog". :thumb:
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 pm

The acoustic is plugged in direct and then the sim is applied in the DAW (vst).

I've been thinking of doing "Hey Bulldog". I've actually got a "draft" of it already (I will often do simple drafts of each song to get a feel for how much work they are going to be).
Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Craig, how about "Baby you can drive my car"???
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

Ooooo! That would be a good one too!
Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Craig wrote:Ooooo! That would be a good one too!

Great beat, great bass line, cool guitar licks, lead vocals you could stretch out on, and the background harmonies are awesome.

What's not to like? :D
Don

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 pm

I may through together a draft of that one and see how it feels. The only issue I have is, programming Beatles drum tracks is a pain in the butt. What I need to do is get an electronic kit so I can record them myself!
Craig Brophy