Half The Way Gone

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Half The Way Gone

Post by Craig » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:03 am

I needed a "Haunting" track as a lead in for another piece I'm writing and this is what I came up with:
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Half The Way Gone

Post by mdrs » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Craig, that was awesome. No shit!! Great composition, loved the feel of it. Also, this song really suited your voice. I think this is my favorite song of any I've heard you do.

Loved it.

:horns:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Mudcat
Charter Member

Post by Mudcat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:38 pm

This is a great song with a great vocal performance. I think the modulated delay distracts from the the song and performance. If I were you producer I would: 1) Keep this vocal track; 2) replace the acoustic track with another take on the acoustic using a mic instead of the pick-up and 3) use a more traditional sounding combination of reverb and (subtle) long delay.

Great song and great singing!

You're on quite a roll with the songwriting. Keep it up!
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcat
http://www.soundclick.com/mudcatsdemos

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks for the comments!

I may still try recording the acoustic with a mic. We have an air conditioner and other noisy sounds in the room I record in. I can't tell how much comes though (because I'm listening the same room as the original noise) so I try to minimize mic recordings.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Craig wrote:Thanks for the comments!

I may still try recording the acoustic with a mic. We have an air conditioner and other noisy sounds in the room I record in. I can't tell how much comes though (because I'm listening the same room as the original noise) so I try to minimize mic recordings.
I wish you could just drop by and record here, Craig. My "studio" is sadly underutilized.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Mudcat
Charter Member

Post by Mudcat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Craig wrote:Thanks for the comments!

I always turn my air-conditioner/furnace off when recording with a mic. I still get funky ambient noise from my computer and other stuff in the room. If you are dealing with a fairly constant low-level background noise I can propose a couple of solutions.

1) Export the track in question to Audacity and use its built-in noise reduction algorithm then import the cleaned file back into the REAPER project. This is quite effective. I generally use this approach with vocal tracks I record.

2) ReaFIR in REAPER can be set up to reduce background noise pretty effectively. I believe there is a section in the manual detailing how to do this.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I'd love to check out your studio, Don! I bet it rocks!

I have seem ReaFIR, but have never tried it. I will definitely give it a try.
Craig Brophy

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 am

Oh wait! ReaFir. Of course. I use that as my main EQ.
Craig Brophy

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 am

I'm still going to give it a go. I rerecorded the guitar with a mic, but there is clearly an air sound. I've also been playing around with echos and reverbs. I want to "Pink Floyd" type effect. Echos and just a cool, haunting sound. I'm going to play around a bit more with this one before I call it done.
Craig Brophy

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 am

Very haunting! I dig it!
Mudcat wrote:
You're on quite a roll with the songwriting. Keep it up!
Yes indeed you are! Yep, keep up the great work! :thumb: :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks, Eric!
Craig Brophy

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Recorded the guitar with a mic, shortened the intro, adjusted the vocal effect (kept the slight delay but opened up the reveb a bit), added cello and synth midway into the song.
Here's the link in case it doesn't update the old one:
Craig Brophy

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Craig wrote:Recorded the guitar with a mic, shortened the intro, adjusted the vocal effect (kept the slight delay but opened up the reveb a bit), added cello and synth midway into the song.
Here's the link in case it doesn't update the old one:
Reminiscent of Harry Nilsson to me. Love it.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks, Red!
Craig Brophy

Mudcat
Charter Member

Post by Mudcat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 am

WOW! THAT IS GREAT!

Definitely my favorite Craig Brophy tune to date. I think it was well worth the extra effort to record the acoustic with a microphone. I didn't notice any ambient noise.

The cello and synth additions really fill out the arrangement nicely too!