And now for something completely different...

Have a song you'd like some feedback on? Post your music here for constructive criticism, mixing advice and peer reviews.

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

And now for something completely different...

Post by splitting hare » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Okay, maybe not THAT different but in comparison with music I have posted in the past, this one has many new elements that were foreign to me when we recorded it. And although there are plenty of guitars in the song, the guitar is not the main feature here. And this song is not a rocker, but rather a more folksy ballad type.

First off, this is a song called Family Plot. The lyrics were actually taken out of a book by the same name, except it is known as The Family Plot ("The" in front). Our bass player in The Scarlet Love Conspiracy is friends with the author, Cherie Priest, who wrote the book and resides locally. It is really an excellent book IMHO - a young adult thriller novel involving hauntings and ghosts and such at an abandoned estate on the foot of Lookout Mountain. If you are into those types of books and stories I highly recommend checking it out.

Anyway, either she asked or Travis asked to put the lyrics to music. Travis and his wife Heather brought the chord progression and melody line to a rehearsal one night and it just grew from there. The song is ALL verses - 12 of them to be exact, so we figured it needed some additional things to enhance it to keep it from being too repetitive. The more I listened to it, the more I really liked the story (it IS a murder ballad) but it does grab ones attention and I really started listening closely to the lyrics and ended up buying the book because I was intrigued by the lyrics.

So, as we were tracking it, Kat played a simple drum part, Travis strummed a resonator, Heather sang, and I didn't do anything except press the record button and watch levels and such. It later became me adding a simple bass line, Kat adding more drums (the main snare heard is her 1945 Radio King snare, and the resonating bass drum is also the 28" bass drum from the same kit), calling in other local musicians for cello and violin parts written on a synth (but we needed the REAL thing to sound proper). Travis' daughter added a melodica part and we called in another local musician to add some flute and a piccolo part (the piccolo was done on an EWI but sounds pretty genuine). Travis added a baritone guitar as well. I really wanted to keep it all acoustic instruments but there is a part in the song where The Devil comes up from Hell and to me that just screamed that it needed a demonic sounding slide part with some overdrive - less than 30 seconds worth but 4 tracks were used for this - two of them were backmasked!

I have never put so much time and effort and sorting through tracks and takes (close to 60 tracks on this song to choose from - about 32 of them used) to create a song. But this was fun! Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/the-scarlet-love ... ily-plot-1

Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Craig
Site Admin

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by Craig » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:46 am

Very cool! Nicely done!
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by splitting hare » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks, Craig! Hope all is well with you and that you've still had the time to play and record. I miss hearing all that stuff you were submitting. Cheers! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise