Danny Brown D-45 Build

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.
mdrs
Founding Member

Danny Brown D-45 Build

Post by mdrs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:42 pm

My bud, Danny Brown, is building me a D-45 style acoustic. I need to chose an inlay for the headstock. I wanted to keep the headstock and fretboard inlays pretty close to the traditional style.

Martin mostly made plain guitars. Fancy inlays were very rare. However, the few fancy ones that they made were pretty darn cool. Here's a good example.....it's a 00-45 from 1902......check out the inlay on the headstock (I think this is a Robert Corwin photo);

I want something similar to this. As an eye surgeon, I wanted to incorporate an eye into it. Here are three possible candidates for the inlay;

Which one do you like? Anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? (Vince and Craig???? :wave: )

Note that my D-45 will have a solid headstock, not the slotted style.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Re: What do you think?

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 pm

I like the third one down Doc!! very NICE INDEED!!!
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

revolead
Silver Member

Post by revolead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 am

Dr. Ellwood wrote:I like the third one down Doc!! very NICE INDEED!!!
Agreed.

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:36 am

I like the middle one. Its a little simpler and less busy. But really, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Incorporating the eye is a really cool idea! :thumb:
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 am

My favourite pattern is the first one, except that the down-turned leaves don't look quite as good as the up-turned leaves in the third one. So...my opinion would be the pattern from first one with a smaller eye and up-turned leaves from the third one.

Like this:

Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am

Greg B. wrote:I like the middle one. Its a little simpler and less busy. But really, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Incorporating the eye is a really cool idea! :thumb:
That is my feeling, too. Less busy. But yeah, all are pretty cool! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

GGeezer

Post by GGeezer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I have to go with the middle also, but it is probably the most difficult to reproduce. :roll:

Geoff
Charter Member

Post by Geoff » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Middle. And you could join the Masons with that........

:)

G.
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace. Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Geoff wrote:Middle. And you could join the Masons with that........

:)

G.

:D
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:43 pm

I spoke with Danny tonight. He's got the body of my D-45 assembled. He's very excited about this guitar. Me too!! Once I have it in hand, I'll put together a thread with lots of tid bits and info about the build, the wood, etc. etc.......and lots of photos, too!!

I did some cut and paste, and came up with two other possible head stock inlays. I'll be going down to see Danny this Sunday, and we'll make final decisions about the inlays, and also about the neck carve he's going to do. I'm likely to go with a THICK mild "V" neck, similar to my '42 D-18. I want the neck full size, as I really believe that a big, thick neck makes a huge difference in the tone, and in the sustain of a guitar. I'm going to go with a wider neck than the typical dreadnaught, but not as wide as an old 12 fret martin from the '20's and '30's. I want to be able to play it with a pick, but I also want to be able to do fingerstyle. And, I find the normal width of a Dreadnaught to be a bit crowded for me, especially when I am playing fingerstyle.

Here are the original three inlay candidates;

Here are the two I came up with after some "cut and paste";

What do you think???
Don

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Somehow Doc I wish you could work in a scalpel, denoting not only your time in eye surgery but also as a triage MD. Image
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Maybe paint it a "blood burst"???

:shock:
Don

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 pm

:) :thumb:

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Craig wrote:My favourite pattern is the first one, except that the down-turned leaves don't look quite as good as the up-turned leaves in the third one. So...my opinion would be the pattern from first one with a smaller eye and up-turned leaves from the third one.

Like this:

That's cool, Craig. The top almost looks like a chalice.
Don

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Hmmmnn; I think that the lines of a D-45 style guitar, and its solid, relatively modern headstock, calls for something a little more modern/art-deco/streamlined in style; the three designs you have there look like they'd be more at home on earlier style, slotted-head instruments.

How about something like a clean-lined, stylized Caduceus, with an eye and downward-radiating rays above it?

Something based on something like this (not necessarily identical),

-but with an 'eye in the sky' just above it, shining down rays left and right, conforming to the arc of the wings?
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?