Guitars, Amps, Gear and More!

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Click button to "like" this topic on Google!
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am 
Offline
Founding Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 19724
Location: rural PA
So, I learned and love playing "Little Martha", which is in open D tuning. Unfortunately, I'm a one hit wonder, as I don't know any other songs in open D.

Any suggestions for good songs to learn for acoustic guitar in open D tuning??

_________________
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 am 
Offline
Bronze Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Seattle, Wa
My band has some songs in open D...... ;)
Seriously though, I think a nice piece to learn for solo acoustic guitar might be Black Mountain Side by Led Zep. It's not in open D, it's in DAGDAD I believe. The only difference between the two tunings is the G string. In open D you drop the G string down a half step(from standard tuning) to F# and in DAGDAD you leave it a G. So the open strings form a Dsus4 chord rather than the D major of open D. It is a cool tuning. I'm not positive that this song is in that tuning as I've never tried to learn it, but I'm listening to it right now and it sounds like it is and Jimmy was fond of this tuning.
You could play anything that was written in open E as well and just throw a capo on the second fret, or play it in the lower key. A cool acoustic song in open E is "She talks to angels" by The Black Crowes. I don't know how interesting that would be to play solo, but there are a couple of cool little runs on the guitar that are kinda fun.

Here's some guy on youtube doing Black mountain side. I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know how accurate he is, but it is good enough to get an idea of the song if you are not familiar with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlSzQsD9 ... re=related

_________________
http://www.myspace.com/tomdehass


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:53 pm
Posts: 4735
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)
IIRC, "She Talks To Angels" by The Black Crowes is in Open-D with a capo slapped on at the 2nd-fret (effectively Open-E).

Speakin' o' crows, I think that one of the guitarists in Counting Crows uses Open-D a lot.

IIRC, isn't one of the guitars in the Rolling Stones' "Street Fighting Man" in Open-D? And one of the many guitars in "Wild Horses"? "Jumping Jack Flash"? "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

IIRC, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell is in Open-E, which is the same, intervalic-wise, as Open-D, just a whole-step up; same fingerings, just transposed in pitch...

And everything that Duane and Derek (or anyone else) have done in Open-E, slide or fretted, can be done in Open-D, either transposed down a whole-step, or using a capo at the 2nd-fret. I guess a lot of Robert Johnson's stuff was in Open-E, too, so...

Think maybe ya might start beltin' out "Tangled Up In Blue" now, Don? :thumb:

You can take a lot of things that Keith Richards (or anyone else) plays in Open-G, and play 'em in Open-D by shifting the fingering over/down one string to the bass-side of the fretboard, and up five frets. Keith never did use the 6th-string when he played in Open-G, so you won't miss it when transposing is Op/G stuff to Op/D like this, and you've gained another high string for chord-extensions and melodic stuff.

Open-D lends itself easily to a lot of rootsy Rockabilly riffin' type stuff, in general; think Bo Diddley, late '50s greasers, Link Ray, George Thorogood type thoughts, and bash away.

NOT QUITE OPEN-D, BUT ONLY A FEW TUNER-TWISTS AWAY: Want some tab and notation, courtesy of Gibson Lifestyle? With most of the year to practice 'em, you can learn "Joy To The World" in Double-Dropped-D and "Auld Lang Syne" in Dropped-D for the Holidays... I know, they're not in Open-D, but when their respective Holidays roll around, you can start with one or the other, and then move on to some of your other Open-D tunes with a twist of a peg or two...

"Vestapol" tuning is the exact same thing as Open-D, or sometimes E; aka Vastapol or Sebastapol. There are LOADS of old blues and rootsy and folksy stuff that was done in that. Here's a huge list of old songs- mostly old, mostly blues- played WITHOUT a slide in Open-D (or capoed in that tuning, or in relative tunings with the same intervals) that I ran across searchin' just now:

Weeniepedia / Adventures In Vestapol wrote:
Big Bill Broonzy
Joe Turner Blues

Blind Blake
Down in the Country
Police Dog Blues

Blind Boy Fuller
Little Woman You're So Sweet

Blind Connie Williams
"Philidelphia Street Singer" Inc. Milky White Way

Blind Willie Johnson
Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right (pitched at F)
If I Had My Way I'd Tear This Building Down (pitched at F)
I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge (pitched at G)
Jesus Is Coming Soon (pitched at G)
John The Revelator (pitched at E)
Take Your Burden To The Lord And Leave It There (pitched at Eflat)
The Rain Don't Fall On Me (pitched at F)
The Soul Of A Man--4/20/30 (pitched at E)
Trouble Will Soon Be Over (pitched at F)
When The War Was On (pitched at Eflat)

Bo Carter
Ain't Nobody Got It
Ants In My Pants
Baby, When You Marry
Backache Blues
Blue Runner Blues
Bo Carter Special
Cigarette Blues
Dinner Blues
Don't Mash My Digger So Deep
Fifty Fifty With Me
Flea On Me
Got to Work Somewhere
I Love That Thing
It's Too Wet
I've Got a Case of Mashin' It
Mashing That Thing
Mean Feeling Blues
New Auto Blues
Pig Meat Is What I Crave
Ram Rod Daddy
Sorry Feeling Blues
Sue Cow

Buddy Hubbard
So Sweet

Clifford Gibson
Old Timey Rider
Ice and Snow Blues

Doc Watson
The Train That Carried My Girl From Town
Sittin' on Top of the World

Dr. Ross
Going To The River

Doug Quattlebaum
You Is One Black Rat
Sweet Little Woman

Ed Bell
Rosca Mama Blues

Eddie Harris w/Jimmy Lee Harris
I Wanna Ramble

Elizabeth Cotten
Vastapol

Emry Arthur
Reuben Oh Reuben

Furry Lewis
Big Chief Blues

Georgia Yellow Hammers
Rip Van Winkle Blues

Hobart Smith
K.C. Blues

Jesse Thomas
Another Friend Like Me

Jessie Clarence Gorman
Goin' Up The Country, #1 and #2

Jimmy Lee Harris
Sitting Here Looking 1000 Miles Away

John Byrd
Old Timbrook

John Jackson
Reuben
Steamboat Whistle Blues

John Lee Ziegler
If I Lose, Let Me Lose

Josh White
Careless Love
Good Gal
Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed
I Don't Intend To Die In Egypt-land
Lord, I Want To Die Easy
John Henry

J. W. Warren
When Your Gal Packs Up And Leaves
Rabbit On A Log
You're Gonna Miss Me

Lonzie Thomas
Rabbit On A Log
Raise A Ruckus Tonight
Red Cross Store

Memphis Willie B.
Brownsville Blues
Worried Man Blues

Mike Seeger
Birmingham Tickle
Gamblin' Man
We Live a Long, Long Time

Mississippi John Hurt
If You Don't Want Me
Pay Day
Ten Virgins

Othar Turner
Black Woman
Bumble Bee

Pete Harris
Alabama Bound

Robert Johnson
He'll Make A Way

Robert Wilkins
That's No Way to Get Along

Roy Harvey and Leonard Copeland
Weary Lonesome Blues

Sam McGee
Drummer Boy
Knoxville Blues
Guitar Waltz

Scott Dunbar
Memphis Mail

Tarheel Slim
180 Days
'Fore Day Creep
No Time At All
So Sweet, So Sweet

Teddy Williams
Black Mattie

Uncle Dave Macon accompanied by Sam McGee
I've Got The Mourning Blues

William "Do-Boy" Diamond
Hard Time Blues

_________________
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:55 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 3775
Location: South of the South
Caevan O'Shite wrote:

Weeniepedia / Adventures In Vestapol wrote:
Big Bill Broonzy
Joe Turner Blues

Blind Blake
Down in the Country
Police Dog Blues

Blind Boy Fuller
Little Woman You're So Sweet

Blind Connie Williams
"Philidelphia Street Singer" Inc. Milky White Way

Blind Willie Johnson
Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right (pitched at F)
If I Had My Way I'd Tear This Building Down (pitched at F)
I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge (pitched at G)
Jesus Is Coming Soon (pitched at G)
John The Revelator (pitched at E)
Take Your Burden To The Lord And Leave It There (pitched at Eflat)
The Rain Don't Fall On Me (pitched at F)
The Soul Of A Man--4/20/30 (pitched at E)
Trouble Will Soon Be Over (pitched at F)
When The War Was On (pitched at Eflat)

Bo Carter
Ain't Nobody Got It
Ants In My Pants
Baby, When You Marry
Backache Blues
Blue Runner Blues
Bo Carter Special
Cigarette Blues
Dinner Blues
Don't Mash My Digger So Deep
Fifty Fifty With Me
Flea On Me
Got to Work Somewhere
I Love That Thing
It's Too Wet
I've Got a Case of Mashin' It
Mashing That Thing
Mean Feeling Blues
New Auto Blues
Pig Meat Is What I Crave
Ram Rod Daddy
Sorry Feeling Blues
Sue Cow

Buddy Hubbard
So Sweet

Clifford Gibson
Old Timey Rider
Ice and Snow Blues

Doc Watson
The Train That Carried My Girl From Town
Sittin' on Top of the World

Dr. Ross
Going To The River

Doug Quattlebaum
You Is One Black Rat
Sweet Little Woman

Ed Bell
Rosca Mama Blues

Eddie Harris w/Jimmy Lee Harris
I Wanna Ramble

Elizabeth Cotten
Vastapol

Emry Arthur
Reuben Oh Reuben

Furry Lewis
Big Chief Blues

Georgia Yellow Hammers
Rip Van Winkle Blues

Hobart Smith
K.C. Blues

Jesse Thomas
Another Friend Like Me

Jessie Clarence Gorman
Goin' Up The Country, #1 and #2

Jimmy Lee Harris
Sitting Here Looking 1000 Miles Away

John Byrd
Old Timbrook

John Jackson
Reuben
Steamboat Whistle Blues

John Lee Ziegler
If I Lose, Let Me Lose

Josh White
Careless Love
Good Gal
Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed
I Don't Intend To Die In Egypt-land
Lord, I Want To Die Easy
John Henry

J. W. Warren
When Your Gal Packs Up And Leaves
Rabbit On A Log
You're Gonna Miss Me

Lonzie Thomas
Rabbit On A Log
Raise A Ruckus Tonight
Red Cross Store

Memphis Willie B.
Brownsville Blues
Worried Man Blues

Mike Seeger
Birmingham Tickle
Gamblin' Man
We Live a Long, Long Time

Mississippi John Hurt
If You Don't Want Me
Pay Day
Ten Virgins

Othar Turner
Black Woman
Bumble Bee

Pete Harris
Alabama Bound

Robert Johnson
He'll Make A Way

Robert Wilkins
That's No Way to Get Along

Roy Harvey and Leonard Copeland
Weary Lonesome Blues

Sam McGee
Drummer Boy
Knoxville Blues
Guitar Waltz

Scott Dunbar
Memphis Mail

Tarheel Slim
180 Days
'Fore Day Creep
No Time At All
So Sweet, So Sweet

Teddy Williams
Black Mattie

Uncle Dave Macon accompanied by Sam McGee
I've Got The Mourning Blues

William "Do-Boy" Diamond
Hard Time Blues

Well... There ya' go Doc... Knock the first half off by this weekend and then get back to us.... :) :wave:

_________________
Image
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
http://soundcloud.com/ramps


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:25 pm
Posts: 4262
Location: The Mighty Hutt Valley, NZ
"Payday" and "John The Revelator" are pretty good tunes.

_________________
My band, The Tale Begins
My (ongoing, one day) project: 365 bass riffs in 365 days


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:53 pm
Posts: 4735
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)
I think that ""Draw The Line" by Aerosmith, and George Thorgood's cover of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" either were, or can be, played in Open-D tuning...

_________________
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:09 pm
Posts: 1614
Location: Gawja
Hank Williams Jr.
"A country boy can survive".

That one is in open D, right?

Neil Young's
"Cinnamon girl"

_________________
"What we've got here is...failure..to communicate."
Cool Hand Luke - Strother Martin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: L.I., NY
"4 + 20" Stephen Stills (CSN)
Stills uses it a lot; "Black Queen" (solo) , "Carry On" (CSNY), "Find the Cost of Freedom" (CSNY)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm 
Offline
Founding Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 19724
Location: rural PA
I just ran across this amazing video; It's Big Bill Broonzy playing an old Martin 000-28. I think it's a '46. He's playing "Hey Hey", and you can see where Clapton took his version from!!



Anyone know what tuning this is?

_________________
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: L.I., NY
Cool :thumb:

I was messing around with it and as far as I can tell it's standard tuning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:10 pm 
Offline
Founding Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 19724
Location: rural PA
Yes, standard tuning for sure.

I'm TRYING :shakesfist: to figure it out by ear, but Big Bill is going too fast for me!! :eek:

Here's another vid that may help;


_________________
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:11 pm 
Offline
Founding Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 19724
Location: rural PA
The other confusing aspect of Big Bill's version is that I think he's got his guitar tuned up a step???

He's messin with my head!! :rawk:

_________________
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm 
Offline
Charter Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: L.I., NY
mdrs wrote:
The other confusing aspect of Big Bill's version is that I think he's got his guitar tuned up a step???

He's messin with my head!! :rawk:


You're right he's tuned up a half step up from standard A440 ! :shock:
I guessed and could see that before I pulled out guitar that he was picking from progression of E-A-E -B -A -E.

I wouldn't tune that high. :crazy: Better off using a capo up 1 or 2 frets.
I normally tune 1/2 a step down as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
Founding Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 19724
Location: rural PA
Soulrock wrote:
A cool acoustic song in open E is "She talks to angels" by The Black Crowes. I don't know how interesting that would be to play solo, but there are a couple of cool little runs on the guitar that are kinda fun.


Great suggestion..................Here's a "iPhone recorded blurb after just a minute or two of figuring this out. It's not true to the song, just me noodling;

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9072570

_________________
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 9357
mdrs wrote:
Soulrock wrote:
A cool acoustic song in open E is "She talks to angels" by The Black Crowes. I don't know how interesting that would be to play solo, but there are a couple of cool little runs on the guitar that are kinda fun.


Great suggestion..................Here's a "iPhone recorded blurb after just a minute or two of figuring this out. It's not true to the song, just me noodling;

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9072570


That makes me want to record this song!

Here is about a minute of me recording the song. (I recorded more, but then set the "right side end marker" in the wrong place and only got the first verse or so.) I may set up properly and do a proper recording. (This was just a mic pointed at me and my acoustic. No effect or anything...)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9073086

_________________
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group