Derek Trucks sig SG

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.
Greg B.
Charter Member

Derek Trucks sig SG

Post by Greg B. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:26 pm

So I had a Les Paul that I got in trade for an amp a few months ago, and while it was a really cool LP, it just didn't stand up against my other LP that I've had for a while (which is a keeper...). So I was considering selling it and ran across a guy on Craigslist who was wanting to trade a DT sig SG for a Les Paul. So now I've got this DT SG! So far I'm really liking it, except that I had to put a pickguard on it, it just didn't look right to me without one. It's all stock and has the '57 Classic pickups in it, and I have to say that these are some of the best sounding humbuckers I've ever had.

Here's a pic right after I got it:

After the new pickguard was installed:

Headstock:

"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

splitting hare
Charter Member

Re: Derek Trucks sig SG

Post by splitting hare » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:36 pm

That's beautimous, Greg! Looks great with or without the pickguard. Congrats on the new addition to the herd! :rawk:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Nice axe, Greg. Congrats.

'57 Classics, as you know, are my fav Gibson humbuckers.

A while back, just for the heck of it, I broke out all of my LP's, and pulled the pick ups, and low and behold, they were all '57 Classics! I'd just bought each because it sounded GREAT and played great. Turns out, without any plans to do so, they ALL had '57 Classics.

Play your DT SG in health and happiness Greg!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Yes! :thumb: VERY sweet, cool looking addition :love:

Play the... heck... out of it :rawk:
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

halfnote
Silver Member

Post by halfnote » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 pm

DT's one of the best but is the gtr he actually plays onstage one of Duane's ?
Is it another gtr ?
Perhaps a gtr based on the above?
A gtr designed from some other instrument he acquired ?

There's no majick that domes automagically w/ any of those, of course, but ....

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 pm

While Derek Trucks has played several of Duane Allman's Les Pauls on stage at various "special occasions", his every day guitar is just an SG he bought. He does happen to own a Goldtop that is one serial number away from Duane Allman's '57 Goldtop that he got a couple of years ago. He plays his '57 Goldtop out every now and again.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Yes! BEAUTtttiful!! :heart: :snax:

Rock on with the AC/DC tunes ;) :rawk:
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Short answer- BEAUTIFUL.
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Last week I took the vibrato (which is non-functioning anyway) off to see how it looks. Probably going to leave it off as I like it better without. I've thought about getting the rest of the vibrato parts and make it functioning, but I'd never use it, so it wouldn't be worth the $$$ or the effort.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Guess what???? I sold the SG the other day.... :deadhorse: :) :)

I've been thinking about moving it for a few months. I like it, but can't honestly say that I love it and just haven't been playing it a lot lately. Kyle was playing it quite a bit but I recently traded a Charvel (which I rarely played either...)I had for a Les Paul Studio for him, so he kind of quit playing it too. I hadn't really decided anything and this past week I see an ad on The Gear Page for a guy selling or trading a Fender Tone-Master head, which I've been wanting one for a while now. He had it priced right (actually a little under market value) so I offer up the SG in trade. He told me he'd get back to me by the weekend (he was more interested in selling outright), so just for the hell of it, I listed the SG on FB Marketplace and a local FB musician's exchange page. In less than a day, I had it sold for basically the price the guy was asking for the Tone-Master. So I messaged him, did the deal, and are going to meet up this coming weekend. He's in Kansas City, so we're going to meet up on either Saturday or Sunday. I can't wait to get it and crank it!!! I'll report back when I get it.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Greg B. wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 pm

I've been thinking about moving it for a few months. I like it, but can't honestly say that I love it and just haven't been playing it a lot lately. Kyle was playing it quite a bit but I recently traded a Charvel (which I rarely played either...)I had for a Les Paul Studio for him, so he kind of quit playing it too. I hadn't really decided anything and this past week I see an ad on The Gear Page for a guy selling or trading a Fender Tone-Master head, which I've been wanting one for a while now. He had it priced right (actually a little under market value) so I offer up the SG in trade. He told me he'd get back to me by the weekend (he was more interested in selling outright), so just for the hell of it, I listed the SG on FB Marketplace and a local FB musician's exchange page. In less than a day, I had it sold for basically the price the guy was asking for the Tone-Master. So I messaged him, did the deal, and are going to meet up this coming weekend. He's in Kansas City, so we're going to meet up on either Saturday or Sunday. I can't wait to get it and crank it!!! I'll report back when I get it.
Greg, Dude, you are a player!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: Let us know how you like the Tone Master.
Don

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 pm

mdrs wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm
Greg B. wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Greg, Dude, you are a player!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: Let us know how you like the Tone Master.
:thumb: :thumb: You know I will!

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

I'm just curious-

- What was that DT SG's neck like?

- How was its balance, was it at all 'neck-heavy'?

- If so, did the weight of that Lyre tail-piece (no strings attached ;) ) balance it a little better- and if you tried it with that removed, did that make a noticeable difference in the balance?

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Caevan O'Shite wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am
I'm just curious-

- What was that DT SG's neck like?

- How was its balance, was it at all 'neck-heavy'?

- If so, did the weight of that Lyre tail-piece (no strings attached ;) ) balance it a little better- and if you tried it with that removed, did that make a noticeable difference in the balance?
The neck was a bit chubby, which I like. Similar to a 50's Les Paul neck, but maybe a little thinner front to back. It was similar to an SG Standard that I had a few years ago, but a little wider. Very comfortable.

With the Lyre tailpiece, it was balanced very well, no neck dive at all. When I took it off, it was typical SG neck heavy.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 am

Aaaahh... I thought so. All of the above- including the original lack of a pickguard- seem like details that would suit Derek's wants and needs to a "T" (pun intended ;) ). I suspected that the Lyre T' would enhance balance, and that it was the reason it was included, even though it was unconnected to the strings.

I think that I would like one of these, particularly the neck profile and width (and its length of easily accessed fretboard free of the body!), and the improved balance afforded by that Lyre tailpiece acing as a counter-weight.

Like Derek, I play fingerstyle and never use a pick, so the pickguard wouldn't be needed (see my main squeeze in my Avatar Image). That being said, however, I agree with you that the SG definitely looks better and 'right' with the classic small pickguard installed. (I never liked the looks of SG's with the larger pickguards.)