Bridge Repair

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.
splitting hare
Charter Member

Bridge Repair

Post by splitting hare » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 am

A family member has asked me to see if I can repair the bridge on her old Gibson C1 nylon string. It really just looks like I need to clean the guitar and bridge surfaces and reglue. Any advice as to a good glue to use in this situation? Other ideas or repair procedures? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Bridge Repair

Post by mdrs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey Eric. Those Gibson classical guitars can be real gems!

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd recommend you bring it to a good luthier. These old Gibsons were/are known to have been poorly glued. My bet is that not only is the bridge off, but that there are some loose braces that ought to be addressed as well.

Let us know what becomes of this guitar!! Maybe post a clip after it's been brought back to speed????
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks for all the advice and good words, Don!

Will provide updates when the repair is complete, and post a clip. I am anxious to play this guitar!!!! :rawk:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

The C1 is back in action! I went the route of attempting the repair myself. Sanded and cleaned off the old glue remaining on both surfaces, reglued the bridge with Titebond Hide Glue and clamped it for 48 hours plus. Strung it up last night, starting off by keeping it in D as opposed to bringing it up to E right away, probably erring on the side of caution, you know? :) Guitar has a nice mellow sound to it, and while I am by far any expert on classical and nylon string guitars, this one sounds nice! Stretched the strings out some more this morning and tuned it up to E-flat. Hopefully I can get some time over the next day or so to maybe record and post some audio! Thanks for the good advice, Don! :thumb:

Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Looks great, Eric!! I read the post by your family member on FB, where she describes how important this guitar has been to her. If I remember correctly, it was a gift from her Dad, and she's had a close bond with that guitar her entire life. And, didn't I see Kat say that listening to this guitar being played when Kat was young, inspired her musical "career/life"!!

You did what looks like a fine job on fixing that guitar. You did a far more meaningful and important job in restoring a part of that family member's life, as well as a tie to her Dad.

You done good, Eric. You done real good.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 am

mdrs wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm
Looks great, Eric!! I read the post by your family member on FB, where she describes how important this guitar has been to her. If I remember correctly, it was a gift from her Dad, and she's had a close bond with that guitar her entire life. And, didn't I see Kat say that listening to this guitar being played when Kat was young, inspired her musical "career/life"!!

You did what looks like a fine job on fixing that guitar. You did a far more meaningful and important job in restoring a part of that family member's life, as well as a tie to her Dad.

You done good, Eric. You done real good.
Thanks, Don! I think your advice to bring it to a luthier would have been the best and wisest route to take and I am certain that a trained eye from a pro might see things that I wouldn't. But the bracing I felt underneath felt tight and there is not a luthier in town that I feel comfortable with. And since I am not sure how soon I can get to Nashville to bring it to Gruhn's, I decided to tackle it myself. So far, so good!

Yes, you are correct about the sentimental value the guitar has with Kat and her sister. Last night Kat was recording some excellent harmonies with what seemed like little effort. Parts she hadn't sung before she would nail on the first take. I continue to be amazed by that and although I realize that it is similar to a guitar player ripping off a solo on the fly, it still impresses me every time. We were talking that she and her sister would sing Beatles songs together and Kat would often do the Paul harmonies. And I said, pointing at the Gibson C1, "and she was playing that guitar, right?" Yes, indeed.

In the meantime, we won't be seeing her sister for a bit since she lives out of state, so I get to play this guitar for a bit! MMMWAHAHAHA! :twisted: :rawk: :)
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm

You deserve to play that guitar for a bit. Enjoy!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:
Don

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm

I remember seeing this on FB Eric.....Looks like a great job to me! Cool family history with the guitar too!!
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Greg B. wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm
I remember seeing this on FB Eric.....Looks like a great job to me! Cool family history with the guitar too!!
Thanks, Greg!!! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff