Bridge Repair

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Bridge Repair

Post by splitting hare » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 am

A family member has asked me to see if I can repair the bridge on her old Gibson C1 nylon string. It really just looks like I need to clean the guitar and bridge surfaces and reglue. Any advice as to a good glue to use in this situation? Other ideas or repair procedures? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Bridge Repair

Post by mdrs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey Eric. Those Gibson classical guitars can be real gems!

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd recommend you bring it to a good luthier. These old Gibsons were/are known to have been poorly glued. My bet is that not only is the bridge off, but that there are some loose braces that ought to be addressed as well.

Let us know what becomes of this guitar!! Maybe post a clip after it's been brought back to speed????
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
splitting hare
Charter Member

Re: Bridge Repair

Post by splitting hare » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks for all the advice and good words, Don!

Will provide updates when the repair is complete, and post a clip. I am anxious to play this guitar!!!! :rawk:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise