Wah farts

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Wah farts

Post by DaveDaDude » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am

I wasn't sure where to put a question about an EFX, but here it is. Craig, feel free to move it. ;)

I have decided again to (have been waffling back and forth whether to or not) get a Wah into my EFX Chain when that time comes (guitar(s) and amp(s) first). I had no doubt that I would get the Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q that I had before and knew and loved (it was stolen :(). While researching some sites yesterday about what order to put the effects in, I ran across the term for Wahs of "farting out". It was stated that a Wah before a Fuzz in the Chain would be darker and more mellow (what I want) than if after the Fuzz (where it would be brighter and thinner) but that most Wahs would "fart out" if before the Fuzz and then cited the Real McCoy Custom as one that would not do that. Just as a note, they went on to say that before an OD (maybe a Fulldrive 3 instead of Mystic Blues below) it would be bright, snappy and quacky; while after the OD would be mellow and 'sit in the mix' (more of what I want).

When I had the Cry Baby (10 yrs ago), at "home", before my family moved back East with me (from Eastern Tennessee at the time, wife's brother's) I used the Wah only (my first EFX pedal) to practice with it, the Highway One Strat and the Roland JC55 in my (small) bedroom and had no issues. Then later on, I ran my Strat Highway One into the Wah first in the Chain, then a DOD FX-102 Mystic Blues (a sweet OD imho), then a George Dennis Distorted Mind Rock distortion (great over-the-top yet not rough and raspy imho) and finally a BOSS 7-Band EQ; then into the mid/late 90's Randall Tube Pro 1000 II 50W 6L6, 2 Channel, Master Volume Amp at 1/3 Power (17W), 12" Combo and it was exactly what I was looking for. Never heard a fart from the Wah, could rock the (high ceilinged, corrugated steel) house down (at 17W). :rawk: :rawk: Or maybe I just tuned it out of the Chain when first setting the Chain up and never gave it a second thought (or don't remember).

Now I'm having second thoughts about getting the 535Q, or any Cry Baby. I was considering Guitar --> Wah --> OD --> Fuzz --> EQ --> Amp (probably some kind of Fender Vibrolux type). Anybody here know anything about the nasty sounding "farting out"? I couldn't seem to find anything else other than that one reference to it. http://www.sixstringsoul.com/how-to-arr ... ts-pedals/.

PS to Craig: I've forgotten how to make the URL link show something (i.e. Six String Soul article) instead of showing the whole goobly-gook of the url. A reminder please?
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Wah farts

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Wahs are an interesting pedal as not only can they colour the sound but they can also manipulate the sound. Generally, a pedal does one or the other. In this case you can take the finished sound (after it's been distorted) and then manipulate it, or you can make it wah and then add effects to that. There is a lot of debate about which way is right....

As for the link, I'm not sure what you mean "Show the article". You can get it to show images, but if it's a full page, then it will only display a link.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 am

Craig wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 pm
... ... ...
As for the link, I'm not sure what you mean "Show the article". You can get it to show images, but if it's a full page, then it will only display a link.
There is a way (I know, I've used it, just can't remember it) to use the url tool that will show here in the post as whatever name one would like to assign to it, but still take one to the desired url link.

i.e. "{url=some short descriptive title}then the actual url for what one wants{/url}" and it shows as "some short descriptive title" and not the sometimes very lengthy actual url. I've intentionally used the wrong kind of bracket so you could see the keystrokes, {} instead of []. Hard to explain. :geek:

The above is not the correct syntax because when I typed in {url=the Cloud}http://mashable.com/2013/08/26/what-is- ... _Dgq2{/url} this is what I got. http://mashable.com/2013/08/26/what-is- ... 9y0yn_Dgq2 The "=" goes someplace else in the string. If indeed it is the "=" that creates the... pseudonym.

PS: Maybe this should go to the Computer thread now?
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am

Ahh. Okay. to do that you add the code like this (only without the spaces):
[ url=http://url ]Like This[ /url ]
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Craig wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am
Ahh. Okay. to do that you add the code like this (only without the spaces):
[ url=http://url ]Like This[ /url ]
AHhhhh... now I remember. Thanx!

and http://mashable.com/2013/08/26/what-is- ... gq2%7B/url becomes Wah Fart article :thumb:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18