Gibson's manufacturing sites

Question about vintage gear? Wondering how to apply that new scale you are learning? This is the place for all things guitar.

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Gibson's manufacturing sites

Post by DaveDaDude » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:07 pm

First of all, HEY! all ya'all~!! :wave:
Sorry I've been so long, but first it was a very time consuming online game, then fantasy baseball draft... season. Now fantasy football and... poof... it's been almost a year. :(

Anyway, I'm thinking of <gasp> selling my '72 D-18 and buying two or three guitars with the proceeds. Only thinking atm, mind you.

One of them would probably be a Gibson of some kind (another a Fender, of course). But I'm confused about which models are made where. Fender is very upfront and detailed about it, USA, Mexico, China, Indonesia, right there in the serial number in the pictures... and some in text. However, Gibson is more... obscure... about it.

How about just a for instance? Since I've been hooked on this model for a while, the Les Paul '50's Tribute (P-90). At the Gibson site, they say, "...and comes covered by Gibson USA’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Service.", which in my experience does not mean they are MADE in the USA. Even at Wikipedia, the list... "Below are some of the facilities used to produce Gibson instruments, along with years of their operation:" which doesn't mean there aren't factories outside of the USA.

So... does anybody know where that model, and possibly others, is made?
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Electro-Harmonix Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Re: Gibson's manufacturing sites

Post by DaveDaDude » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 pm

I finally found a picture of the back of a headstock where the imprint is legible on a 60s Tribute HB model, "Made In USA". fwiw

Found it at Sweetwater, who claim they take pics of each and every guitar. Pretty cool, and helpful in this case. ;) :cool:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm not an expert on where newly made Gibson guitars are made, Dave. However, I do know that in the past (and possibly currently, though I do not know for sure) when the stamp "Made In USA" was made on the back of a Gibson headstock, it typically indicated that the guitar had been made in USA for export to other countries. A US made Gibson that was meant to be sold in the US did not have that stamp.

I'm not sure if Gibson currently outsources new builds to other countries??????
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 pm

mdrs wrote:I'm not an expert on where newly made Gibson guitars are made, Dave. However, I do know that in the past (and possibly currently, though I do not know for sure) when the stamp "Made In USA" was made on the back of a Gibson headstock, it typically indicated that the guitar had been made in USA for export to other countries. A US made Gibson that was meant to be sold in the US did not have that stamp.

I'm not sure if Gibson currently outsources new builds to other countries??????
Hey! Thanks for the info. FIrst of all, I think they now stamp every made in USA guitar as "Made in USA", although I have no conclusive "evidence", but that's what I recall iirc from what I've seen over the past months. I have been AWOL since I've been kind of busy with RW personal stuff since I last posted. My father went into a nursing home almost a year ago, died beginning of February. Not unexpected or tragic, he was 97yoa, but still... he's gone and with my mother now.

Enough of that. Now onto my GAS. :D I still have it and am still considering selling my Martin. I've decided that I can't possibly buy three, or even two, decent guitars for what I might sell the Martin for. So, I've decided to go with one really good guitar (imho) and get the Eric Clapton Strat. I've tried it in Guitar Center and it was instantly a big hit with me, no faults that I could find with it. loved the neck, action, electronics :blah: :blah: :blah:. I may get it in the "White" even though the black is the "definitive" color and the only one to carry more than EC's signature, and... "Blackie".

It's the "other" guitar I'm confused on. I want it to cover what the Strat doesn't. I was thinking 2 HB or 2 P90 (loved my many auditions with the Godin P90 years ago), but wanted both tones (only one more decent guitar fits into my budget). Then I stumbled across the Godin Summit Classic CT Convertible https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SumCLConvGLD that uses the Seymour Duncan P-Rails (SC and P90 melded into one HB) that gives SC, P90 or HB out of each pup. After obsessing over that for a week or two ($1.7k vs EC Strat $1.6k) listening to sound samples... not one in a store for hundreds of miles that I can tell... I decided that it couldn't come close to the tone of the Strat, which is one tone I really want. I also really liked the tone of the Godin P90 but also want that LP HB "growl". Don't get me wrong, if I already had an HB guit and aStrat, I would be very interested in the Godin Convertible, lots of very cool tones.

Now I'm thinking a two HB axe so I can put anything in place of the stock pickups, HB, Active HB or SC (IF I ever learn to solder correctly). That got me to thinking. The tone I've liked the best of any electric guitar I've owned (with a very close 2nd to Highway One Strat) was Cream Cheese 'n Jelly... 1986-1989 Ibanez RG600WP, two Active HB's, although I had no clue of that until the battery went dead. What?! A... battery?!! :shakesfist: Looking back on it now, it was the Active Pups that gave me that tone I loved through the 1986-1989 Roland 55 (that has made its way home to be with the Martin) :idea: :D :rawk: The Martin with a SD SA-1 sound hole pup was even great... very acoustic.

There's limited Active pup guitars on ebay where I can maximize my value purchase, and difficult to find except by specific model. BUT... now I find two cool new guitars that have Active Pups, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 0=Schecter Schecter Hellraiser and https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PROSCTPB Jackson "Pro Series" Monarkh[sic]that might JUST fit into my budget (one, not both :(). They both have their merits; Jackson is Mahogany Single Cut Body (although only faintly resembling a LP) with Maple top, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, TOM style Bridge, compound radius Maple Neck, 24.75 Scale length; Schecter is Mahogany Body with Maple top (resembling a Strat), 3-Pc Mahogany Neck, 25.5 Lg Scale, String-Thru, Locking Tuners and EMG Pups (81 Bridge & 89 Neck). I think I can manage to find these two locally (i.e. on two hours away, I live out in the Boonies here). Both these are "Shredder" guitars, but from what I can tell from sound samples, a decent clean sound. There's one or two others in the same price range that also have Neck-Thru design which has long been a Nirvana concept for me.

Wow! That was long. :blah: :blah: :blah: If you're still with me... no problem if you're not, that was quite a rant... I'm seeking opinions. Should I go Active Pups? New shredder guitar or ebay? (I wouldn't be able to audition ebay axes unless it was a fairly recent model that I could audition locally). The other possibility is an old (early 2000's iirc) Godin LG-P90 for $400 or so (on ebay) and if I really hate it or miss the HB sound, I could stick Seymour Duncan stacked (SC sized) HB's in it (with a gap :(). Oh... there's also the other guitar I loved when auditioned, the c2000 Gibson Les Paul Double Cut in a quilt emerald green. But I've never seen it anyplace else ever again, so I'll mark that as a dream guitar since it also would not allow any kind of quality USA Strat... BUT if I see one before pulling the trigger on the Strat, it's going to be a close call.

Thank you all ya'all for your patience. :deadhorse:

PS: Oh, I still have the Epiphone Galaxie 10 tube amp that's been re-tubed and sounds decent. A speaker and/or extension cabinet probably in its future, but long after guitars :(. Roland with (2) 8" Speakers and good EFX's will stay stock.
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

BritInvasion
Silver Member

Post by BritInvasion » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi - I can shed a little light on the Gibson / USA question. All guitars bearing the Gibson logo are made in the U.S. All standard production guitars have Made in USA stamped on the rear of the headstocks , the exception being most Custom / Historic guitars which true to the originals do not have the stamp.
"The Beatles saved the world from boredom." - George Harrison