Craigslist score!

From Ampeg to Dr. Z, the Amp forum is the place for conversation, only louder!
Greg B.
Charter Member

Craigslist score!

Post by Greg B. » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Just scored a Bad Cat Cougar 50 off of CL for $150!!! Before you get too excited for me, this is one of the made in China Bad Cat amps and it is just the chassis, reverb tank, and speaker, the guy I got it from used the cabinet for a project. These amps originally sold new for around $1000, so it's still a great deal. Good news is that the chassis works perfectly, hell, it's almost brand new, and the speaker is a Celestion V30!! One of my favorite speakers! I don't even think the speaker is even broken in yet.....Even better is that I just sold a pedal that I don't need for almost the same amount, so there was very little out of pocket $$$.....I'm going to get some birch ply, build a head cab for it and rock it! :rawk: :thumb: Can't wait to get it home this evening and plug it in....

Here's some specs on the amp: http://www.badcatcougarseries.com/cougar-50-combo
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Craigslist score!

Post by mdrs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Greg strikes again! Well done, and congrats! You'll have to show us the finished project.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

mdrs wrote:Greg strikes again!
Indeed he does! :thumb: Greg, you have a knack for finding some cool and killer deals! But as you know, we will want pics!!! :) Sounds like a cool project!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Well, I got the shell built, but I'm not going to take any pictures.....my woodworking skills are pretty much sh*t, and therefore, that is exactly what it looks like...... :D So, I'm going to take another crack at building one in the next couple of weeks or so and see how that one turns out. Then I may post a pic.

As far as the amp, it sounds great. Very hot rodded Marshall sounding. It has a LOT of gain available....so much so that I run the gain at about 9:00 on the dial and it is still pretty dirty. But its really clear and articulate and cleans up at the guitar volume nicely, which is a must for me. The clean channel only has a volume knob and a 4 position tone knob. Pretty much any position of the tone knob sounds good, but it's definitely more in the Marshall vein of cleans, no Fender here. But it's a good sounding clean channel that is said to be a nice pedal platform. The owner of Bad Cat Amps stated on another forum that while they do not manufacture these amps and have pretty much just licensed the name, they did have a final say in the design and did, in fact tweak some things before they were released. The main designer of this amp, James Brown, is the same guy that designed several amps for Peavey, including the 5150.

All in all, its a pretty good sounding amp, especially for the $150 I paid for it and despite the crappy looking shell I built...
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Lots of bang for your buck, I'd think.

:horns:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:05 pm

So I got some rubber feet and a handle for the amp today and went out in the garage to put them on and ended up taking most of the shell apart, trimming the sides up so they are square and put it back together. It's still not great, but I'm much happier with now. I can at least stand to look at it now....It looks too tall since I made it fairly narrow, which is due to my limited (very) woodworking skills. I had to make it this tall because of the tube cage hanging down in the back and I didn't really know how to cut the lower front piece to cover on both sides of the faceplate of the amp, which would have made it about 2 or so inches wider on both sides and made the proportions a little better. I don't think it would have looked as tall if it were wider. Right now, I'll probably leave it as is, but one of these days I may try to build a better looking shell and actually cover it.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 am

Looks like it'll do the job to me, Greg!

Is it vented or partially open in the back, or top, so dissipate heat?
Don

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 am

The back is wide open. The power tubes have a cage around them, so I may just leave it as is since the tubes are well protected. If I do anything, I'll just put a small, narrow panel on the bottom back just to clean up the look a bit. But for now, I'm leaving it alone, as I've had my fill of woodworking for a while now....... :shakesfist: :D

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:18 pm

:)
Don

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 am

I am not a woodworker either, but that looks highly functional to me and certainly a better job than I could have done! :thumb: Personally I don't think it looks too tall looking at the photo. I don't recall - have you done any amp covering before? If not, you could always practice on this one before you make another attempt at constructing a cabinet...or you could just plug in a guitar and crank the volume knob up and take it from there! :rawk: :rawk: (That's what I would do!) :)
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:51 pm

splitting hare wrote:...or you could just plug in a guitar and crank the volume knob up and take it from there! :rawk: :rawk: (That's what I would do!) :)
Yeah, that's probably what is going to happen......LOL.....

Michael Patrick
Charter Member

Post by Michael Patrick » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:17 am

splitting hare wrote: or you could just plug in a guitar and crank the volume knob up and take it from there! :rawk: :rawk: (That's what I would do!) :)
FTW!!! :horns:

Great score, Greg.
We'll go to Beverly Hills
Just before dawn
Knock the little jockeys
Off the rich peoples' lawns
And before they get up
I'll be gone

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:17 am
splitting hare wrote: or you could just plug in a guitar and crank the volume knob up and take it from there! :rawk: :rawk: (That's what I would do!) :)
FTW!!! :horns:

Great score, Greg.
Indeed! :rawk:

Congratulations, Greg. :cool:
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?