NAD! Fender Tone-Master

From Ampeg to Dr. Z, the Amp forum is the place for conversation, only louder!
Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Re: NAD! Fender Tone-Master

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am

Oh, I agree with you, I really like those V-30's, they have a FANTASTIC "KerrRRRAAANG"! Classic/Hard/Punk Rock sounds great through them in a good cab, especially clanging, aggressive rhythm-guitar and big Townshend-to-Page-to-Strummer chords.

I also love 12" guitar-speakers and prefer them over 10" speakers. Y' know what'd be even better than that one 12" V-30 in your Pro Sonic? TWO of 'em! (IF they'd fit!) I'd bet that the original 2x10" Celestion array, PLUS a 1x12" or 2x12" extension-cab (closed-back, perhaps?), would also sound fantastic. Might be more than you'd want to cart around, though! :D :thumb:

As for the Tone Massa, I do believe that Bruce Zinky was referencing a lot of classic Eddie Van Halen tones, so even if the amp was designed and paired with V-30's, it doesn't surprise me that it'd sound great with "greenbacks", as well. And I'm not surprised that a mix of greenbacks and V-30s results in great, rich and complex tones!
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 pm

So I should be getting the amp back this week or next. My friend that has it has been super busy and I told him from the beginning that since he was doing me a favor, I was in no hurry and to take as much time as needed. A month or so ago he called me and told me that it was the output transformer, so I found a brand new factory replacement and got it to him. I told him that when he was done with it, to keep it for a few weeks and put it thru the paces to make sure all was well with it. I can't wait to get it back!
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Keep us posted!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Well, he got the OT changed and it works for about 20 minutes, then blows the fuse. He said that he traced it to a capacitor that was bad. Of course the type of cap it is, is one that he doesn't have, so he had to order it. He's thinking that he'll have it going this week or next, barring any other issues that may come about. So.....more waiting.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm

:shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Back in action and sounding just as good or better than before!!

And yes, that cab is new (to me....). I sold the Marshall cab a few months ago and go this Divided By 13 2x12. I put the V30s from the Marshall cab in it and it sounds fantastic! The straight front gives it a little more oomph than the slant Marshall and it sounds much better with the Tone Master than the Marshall did...

And while I'm at it, here's a pic of both heads and cabs, just missing the Prosonic combo.....

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:20 am

Looks like Broadbooks is back in business!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:
Don

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Fo sho!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :horns: :horns: :rawk: :rawk: