What is the best of the classic Fender Reverb tanks?

From Ampeg to Dr. Z, the Amp forum is the place for conversation, only louder!
mdrs
Founding Member

What is the best of the classic Fender Reverb tanks?

Post by mdrs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 pm

While I don't use a lot of reverb when I'm playing, I do like that classic old Fender reverb sound. I know that back in the day, Fender sold reverb units that looked like amp heads, but I know essentially nothing about them!

Does anyone know which of those old models gives "the classic Fender reverb tank sound"??? I guess I'm looking for year and model......... Also, what effects pedal most closely recreates this sound?

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Greg B.
Charter Member

Re: What is the best of the classic Fender Reverb tanks?

Post by Greg B. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm the same with reverb...I rarely, if ever, use it. As far as I know, and someone who knows better than me can clarify, the classic Fender units from the sixties (white, brown, and black) are all the same and are the quintessential Fender reverb units. Wikipedia says that they were made from '61 to '66, when a solid state version was introduced.

As far as a pedal that would replicate it? I don't know. I do know that Strymon makes one and their pedals are very well thought of (expensive, but very well built and sound great), but I've never played one. I wouldn't use one enough to justify even an inexpensive one.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:28 am

Depends on what you wanted to spend...lol. I believe the old Fenders used Spring reverbs and there are options out there. I think you can get a Boss pedal, the Boss Fender '63 Spring Reverb, that is made to match the sound and, I know a lot of folks dislike Boss, but I've always liked them. I found this pedal to be pretty close. There are also a lot of boutique ones. I remember one from Van Amps that had a great spring reverb sound, but I'd assume they would also carry a hefty price. My old Traynor amp head has the same spring reverb set up as the old Fender amps so carries the same sound. It also has one of the best tremelos I've ever heard. you could probably pick up a head for fairly cheap. Less than the Van Amps pedal, anyway...
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:44 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUJ9ai7jdo
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks Greg, and Craig.

I also found this review of 7 pedals that are supposed to be "the best";

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2017/0 ... rb-pedals/
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296