Epi 10W Amp Xfmr

From Ampeg to Dr. Z, the Amp forum is the place for conversation, only louder!

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Epi 10W Amp Xfmr

Post by DaveDaDude » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm still planning (and will eventually do) to further upgrade my lil' Epiphone Galaxie 10 "all tube" (Rectifier is SS) amplifier, 10W, 10" spkr.

Just to update everyone:
The previous owner had upgraded the tubes; 6L6 stock to current production RCA 6L6, 12AX7WA stock to current production 12AU7 (why? I don't know, made it worse imho, "for more headroom" he said). I replaced the 12AU7 with a 1961 NOS JAN Tongstol 12Y7 (on Myles Rose's recommendation), and the improvement was considerable, smoother and less brittle. Now for the future mods.

The first two things I'm already decided on:

1) Upgrade the 6L6 to some NOS 6L6 tube.

2) Upgrade speaker, going to use a Weber DT10 (Derek Trucks "signature") 10" Ceramic 10F150, 1.5" Voice Coil, 20 oz. magnet and recommended by their resident applications engineer "CJ". Should be "warm and smooth... not trebly or bright" (the current issues still, but to a much lesser degree).

Now for the sticky decision, upgrading the Xfmr. I believe the original to be a 125CSE, 8W, 60mA Bias or similar, a Hammond replacement being $49. Some reader at Harmony Central (buyer beware) replaced it with a 125DSE, 10W, 70mA Bias (which makes a good deal of sense) and had to remount the Xfmr because the hole spacing was different, a Hammond is $66. The holes are not a big deal... even to me, a couple of small tapped hole through thickish sheet metal.

I thought it might need more improvement, so am considering a 125FSE, 20W, 90mA Bias (I thought the tubes could go as high as 100mA was my reasoning here), a Hammond is $84 (the 125ESE, the next logical step, 15W, 80mA, is physically much different). The hole pattern is the same distance but four holes instead of two :( I think I can handle that as most of the package size is similar and has clearance around it except the height which is 3/4" or so "higher". Since the xfmr hangs upside down, I have about 4" of clearance in that direction. :D I wrote to Hammond Mfg and Mercury Magnetics regarding this. Hammond is a "by the book", look online for the specs company. Mercury replied that they didn't have a 125FSE equivalent, but a direct "upgrade replacement power transformer" 125CSE? (not sure of the specs yet, but suspect the same with their higher quality) was $149. A custom xfmr with Bias tap would be $300! :shock:

So here's the question:

1) Leave it alone? $0
2) Replace with Hammond 125DSE? $66
3) Replace with a Hammond 125FSE? $84
4) Replace with a Mercury upgraded replacement 125CSE $149
5) Replace with a Mercury custom $300 is NOT an option. Do I need a Bias Tap?

I don't really know much about transformers, just bigger is better. :D :thumb: I realize the Mercury is much higher quality, but with the same specs I'm not sure if my tone would improve much over what they actually meet the specs by as opposed to a lesser manufacturer. On the other hand, a near $100 difference from a higher spec (but lower quality) model seems to not be much of an improvement.
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Epi 10W Amp Xfmr

Post by mdrs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm

I'd leave it alone, and save up for an amp that you like the way it is. There are tons of great small amps out there. I am sure you could find a used one, in great shape.....just what you want, for a reasonable amount of $$$$.

Just my 2 cents!!

:horns:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 pm

mdrs wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm
I'd leave it alone, and save up for an amp that you like the way it is. There are tons of great small amps out there. I am sure you could find a used one, in great shape.....just what you want, for a reasonable amount of $$$$.

Just my 2 cents!!

:horns:
Where's the fun in that? :roll: But I may actually do just that and stop with only the NOS 6L6 and speaker upgrade. :deadhorse:

I am going to get a decent soldering iron and put in (2) Speaker Jacks though, all I have to do is learn how to solder... I'm horrible at it. But I think that's a combination of the wrong equipment and not understanding the technique. I've read "all" about it and it's time for the metal to hit the wires. The stock speaker is just hardwired with no way to plug in an extension Cab; so as long as I have to desolder the old speaker and solder in the new one, I may as well put the Jacks in. :snax: I might not like the DT10 as much as I think (ceramic magnet 'n all) and/or could have a small Ext Cab to compliment the DT10... could unplug the DT10 if I hate it... or for certain sounds, etc. TA Weber had suggested the 10F150 (ceramic, 1.5" Voice Coil) and 10A125 (Alnico, 1.25" VC) as a good setup. The DT10 is similar to the 10F150 from what I can tell by descriptions, just a little thinner front to back (and I still may have to space the chassis back for the speaker to fit).

PS: Space is the reason I can't use an Alnico speaker in the amp cab. AND... I can afford to piecemeal the Galaxie 10, but not to buy a Fender 1965 Princeton Reverb Reissue which is what I think I ideally want... or Deluxe Reverb. :(
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Lots of ways to skin a cat, Dave!!

I'm not sure what your budget is for a "new" amp, but I like the idea of finding a used one. Old Fenders can be a relative bargan, especially silverface era examples. And, if there are any issues, they are pretty easy to repair. I don't do amp repairs, though I will swap out pickups and such in guitars. My experience with old Fenders is that if they need work, and you have a good amp guy, it can be relatively inexpensive to have them repaired, too.

Here's one quick example;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender ... adType^PLA
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 pm

mdrs wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm
Lots of ways to skin a cat, Dave!!
Sounds painful... for the cat! :eek: :roll:
mdrs wrote:
I'm not sure what your budget is for a "new" amp, but I like the idea of finding a used one. Old Fenders can be a relative bargan, especially silverface era examples. And, if there are any issues, they are pretty easy to repair. I don't do amp repairs, though I will swap out pickups and such in guitars. My experience with old Fenders is that if they need work, and you have a good amp guy, it can be relatively inexpensive to have them repaired, too.
A few weeks ago, buying a used Fender Silverface was exactly my plan, specifically a Vibro-Champ for it's low power but still with that shimmering Fender Vibrato (I have a decent Reverb on the Rloand JC55, or a new pedal would fulfill some GAS :D). Then I decided that I "needed" two guitars, not one. The EC Strat and a Semi-Hollow/LP Style guitar. atm (this could change in an hour :roll:), I'm considering either an Ibanez AM-153 (Full Hollow Body of all Bubinga, Mahogany Neck, w/ 2 HBs and Neck HB is also Split & Out of Phase) or the AR-420/325 (similar to the AM-153 except Solid Body and the same as each other except for Bone Nut on the 420 and Top being Maple in 420 and Brown Burst Figured Bubinga in 325, both with 2 HB's, both individually HB / Split / Out of Phase); cool sounds from each from YouTube. Of course at least one live audition would be required meaning a trip to Charlotte or Asheville (1.5 hours, lunch, beers, guitars and amps :D).

My budget is simple... whatever I sell the Martin for. That has to go for an (used) EC Strat, one other guitar (all three of those above are available used, but are recent models, so a modest discount), Pedals (a good OD and Fuzz, some A/B/Y Boxes), and new Amp or Amp upgrades. The JC55 is cool like it is. The Epi 10 is... adequate, could be good with mods, just the 1961 NOS JAN Tungstol 12AY7 I lucked into worked wonders. The AR-420/325 are quite a bit less, but the AM-153 would fill the hollow spot (pardon the pun) left by the Martin.
mdrs wrote:
Here's one quick example;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender ... adType^PLA
I hadn't seen a Princeton Reverb that cheap before! :shock: I think I'd prefer the 1965 RI, but that does put the newish Fender back in the game. :D :rawk:

Hmmmm... with the Princeton, I could sell the JC55 as well as the Epi 10 to finance it. Definitely has possibilities, although I would HAVE to have a (good) attenuator for bedroom levels, 16W is far too much, the wife complains about the 10W. :roll: Without two amps, no need for any A/B/Y Boxes, more to be spent elsewhere. :D I had forgotten about selling the Roland (I guess I'm still attached to it), although it's value has taken a dip with Roland making them again. With the Princeton, the JC55 would become archaically redundant and I could keep the Epi 10 until I had the Princeton... keep the Tungstol 12AY7 for the Princeton though. :D

Thanks for you input, Don. Lots of good input. ;) (1) :cookie: :D
Dave

1972 Martin D-18