New Amp/Cab Day

From Ampeg to Dr. Z, the Amp forum is the place for conversation, only louder!

Topic Author
Greg B.
Charter Member

New Amp/Cab Day

Post by Greg B. » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm

So I traded my acoustic (90's Gibson EAS Standard) off this evening for a EVH 5150iii 50 watt head with an Avatar 2x12 with V30s. I've had the acoustic for a few years now, but I can't remember the last time I played it, so I doubt I'll miss it that much. The seller was looking more to trade for an acoustic than sell, so it was a great deal for both of us. And for what I paid for the guitar, I did really well on the deal.....I haven't had a chance to play it much, but the little I did, it seems very much in a similar vein to my Prosonics, so once I get it dialed in, I have a feeling it will be around for a while. My son played it for a while and was getting some great tones out of it.....I wasn't real sure about the white, but it's kind of growing on me and I'm liking it more and more.

"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: New Amp/Cab Day

Post by mdrs » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Greg strikes again!! Sounds like a good deal!

I've heard good things about EVH heads. Let us know how you like it as you get used to it, and get it dialed in.

:rawk: :rawk: :rawk:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Topic Author
Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:58 pm

So I've had some time with this amp and am really liking it. More so, my son has been loving it.....LOL. My only complaint is that the switching from the crunch channel to the clean channel, the clean channel is noticeably quieter. And since the clean and crunch channel share controls, there's not much you can do about it.....But that's a minor issue. The "lead" channel is insane, but still retains some clarity and touch sensitivity. I use the lead channel as just that, a lead channel. And it works great for that.

The Avatar cab is their Contemporary 2x12 with V30's, which work very well with the amp. A lot of people don't care for the V30s, but they are one of my favorite speakers, and sound great with the amp.

All in all, it's a pretty cool, very versatile amp that I intend on keeping.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:30 pm

I wonder if there is something wrong with the amp that makes the clean channel that much quieter??
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Topic Author
Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 am

mdrs wrote:I wonder if there is something wrong with the amp that makes the clean channel that much quieter??
It's a known deficiency in this model. I believe that the fact that the clean channel and the green channel (crunch channel), which I use most, use shared controls is why it does it. Not sure if its a design flaw or just inherent in the design, but its not really a big problem. I don't use tons of gain, so a lot of the time, I just roll back the volume (even tho this is really a high gain amp, it does this very well....) or I can hit my clean boost to compensate. I don't really use cleans all that much anyway, so not a huge deal.....

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:30 pm

I always heard good things about their tone. But, I've never played one.

I have an old JCM 800 50 watt combo, that has two channels; in theory, one is clean, and the other is "dirty". Well, they are more like dirty and dirty!! Very little difference I could ever hear between them!! Still, a very usable amp, with great tone.
Don

Topic Author
Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm

mdrs wrote:I always heard good things about their tone. But, I've never played one.

I have an old JCM 800 50 watt combo, that has two channels; in theory, one is clean, and the other is "dirty". Well, they are more like dirty and dirty!! Very little difference I could ever hear between them!! Still, a very usable amp, with great tone.
Sounds like my kind of amp!! :thumb: :rawk:

The cool thing about the 5150 is that I use the red channel (high gain) as a solo channel. Even tho it can get some insane amounts of gain, it still has really good note separation and clarity, and it sounds just like the crunch channel, so it works great as a solo boost....Pretty versatile amp that is well built and very nicely priced.

I've found that even tho I play with what I would say is more of a 70's high gain tone (think Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, etc....), I like high gain amps for some reason. Not sure why, cause on this one and my Prosonics I never run the gain past noon, but there's something about the higher gain amps, even running at mild(ish) gain levels, that I prefer.....to each their own I suppose.

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:32 am

I have a friend who is on Marshall man for years. He then tried that EVH head with a 412 cabinet. He has his marshals up for sale now.
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185