BIOS

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

BIOS

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 pm

I saw somewhere in my new computer (laptop HP EliteBook 8540W), Windows 10) that one could run older OS by changing something in the BIOS. I have at least a couple of CAD programs, the best being AutoCAD 2002 iirc. But they will only run on 2000 XP Pro, which I have a copy of (hopefully not corrupted). I don't remember now how I tried to do it, but I kept running into the need for the BIOS Admin pw.

This computer used to be my brother-in-law's (yes he's a good guy for giving me his when he upgraded :D) and he doesn't know if he ever had the BIOS pw and anything he could think of didn't work. The guy that originally set up the computer is now in the MidWest someplace (I'm in NC, brother-in-law, SC), but we traded emails and the only master / back door pw he had doesn't work.

Is there a way to crack into the BIOS?

PS: I was about to share how to do a Pedalboard Layout in Excel when I thought about asking our computer guru... YOU... about hacking into BIOS.
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Craig
Site Admin

Re: BIOS

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Two things. One, you SHOULD be able to run a second OS without changing the BIOS. There are a few ways to do it. There are also ways to trick the software into thinking you are running Windows 2000 such as compatibility mode (set to the OS the software was designed to run on) or this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to ... indows-10/

If you want to hack into the BIOS, all you have to do is pull the battery off the mother board (a very large round, flat battery that looks like a giant watch battery). Leave it out for about 30 mins and then put it back in. That should be enough time for the BIOS to lose all it's settings, including the password.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Re: BIOS

Post by DaveDaDude » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm

COOoooool :cool: :thumb:

Thank you, Craig (a bunch o') :cookie:s
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;