A Cautionary Tale

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
mdrs
Founding Member

A Cautionary Tale

Post by mdrs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:32 pm

I've no doubt that I'm preaching to the choir here, as many (most) of you are far more "computer savy" than I. That said, here's the story;

I bought a new laptop for my wife about a year and a half ago. Unknown to me, one of my sons helped her purchase Kaspersky anti-virus software. My wife's computer skills are basic, and she's never done a thing with the Kaspersky software, and in fact had no idea it was still on her computer.

In reviewing my AmEx bills, I recently noticed two charges from Kaspersky. One was for almost $120, and about 6 weeks later another charge from Kaspersky for almost $70. When I asked my wife about these charges, she had no idea about how they got on her card. So, today she called Kaspersky (after they failed to answer e mail inquiry she sent them). I listened for a few minutes while they said that they'd taken her card off their records, and will not charge us for anything without authorization in the future. My wife then asked them to refund us for the two charges. The person refused to do this. So, I got on the phone. The person had a heavy accent, and my best guess is that they were in a phone center off shore. I told the person that I did not authorize those two charges, and wanted a refund. The person told me that I was not authorized for a refund. I replied that your company took this money without my permission, and with no notice, and that I had authorized myself for a full refund.

:snax:

When the Kaspersky customer service person again told me I was unfortunately not authorized for a refund, I asked to speak to their manager or boss. I was told that there was no manager!!

So, I thanked her for her time, and told her she was fired, then hung up.

I then called American Express's "800" customer service number. I wasn't optimistic that I'd get my money back since one of the charges was from more than 60 days ago. Yet, in spite of that, the American Express agent gave me a full refund on both charges that will be posted on my account within 48 hours. And they also put a "merchant freeze" on Kaspersky, so that for the next 4 years no charges can be made on my account from Kaspersky.

The entire call to American Express Customer Service took me about 2 minutes, and the problem was completely taken care of!!

Moral of the story:

1. Speak with Craig before you consider buying anti virus software. I know that there are much better options........

2. Read your credit card bills every month to look for bogus charges. I normally do this, but have been away a couple of times recently, and just stacked the AmEx bills up, as I've never had any issues before. Stupid move on my part.

3. Choose a credit card company that has got your back. I only own one credit card. It's an AmEx, and I've had one for 30 years. Sure, I do pay an annual fee. But, they are great for fraud protection, customer service, and travel services if you do travel much.

Beware of Kaspersky; they don't have a manager!! :)
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Craig
Site Admin

Re: A Cautionary Tale

Post by Craig » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 pm

A good lesson, over all. Computer or otherwise. It's amazing how many bad companies are out there that are willing to rip off their customers. Being vigilant with your statements is a very wise course, now a days. Glad you were able to sort it out!
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm

30 years with only this one credit card, and I always go through it, line by line, every month. For no good reason, I didn't check it for these past 3 months. While it was not a huge dollar amount, I did learn my lesson!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am

And reminded the rest of us to do the same.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Geoff
Charter Member

Post by Geoff » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:42 pm

There's plenty of decent anti-virus progs for free. No need to buy anything like Kaspersky or Norton. I remember when Norton was owned & run by Peter Norton & it was a pretty straight up company with products that worked. Since being bought by Symantec it's gone along the same lines as Kaspersky.

We've said it before on here, get at decent free antivirus like Avira or Avast! along with MalwareBytes and private Firewall and you're pretty much good to go at absolutely no cost.

Or use Linux.....

G.
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace. Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Couldn't agree more, Geoff!
Craig Brophy

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks for the advice, Geoff and Craig! :wave:
Don

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Good stuff Doc! Geoff right on mate and Craig as always my go to guy of all times!!!
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums