P/S wattage?

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

P/S wattage?

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Craig,

Certainly off topic from anything musical, but I'm building my own (somewhat outdated) gaming computer. I got a MoBo from FreeCycle (yes, for free, really) a year ago and just haven't gotten around to it. My recent computer woes had me thinking of building it. I tore the old full-sized tower I had down and found the case servicable.

Now... the "new" MoBo has an Intel Quad-Core with 4GB of RAM. I plan on, some day, adding a video card with 1 or 2 MB of RAM on it in one of the PCIe slots. I was guessing, from what I've seen online about gaming computers, that I'd need about 400W to 500W. I was surprised to find my old (10 yrs old) tower had a 400W P/S. :shock: But, after cleaning it up, I tried it in an outlet and the fans didn't come on, so I put a multi-meter and... nada. :( Apparently the reason I retired that computer.

I am planning on getting Windows 7 for this gaming computer (and much more current MoBo and BIOS), but I'm on a slim budget. Keeping that in mind, I found that my wife's old tower has a 300W P/S. Is that enough? How can I tell ahead of time?

Any help, thoughts, etc. would be most welcome. ;)
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Craig
Site Admin

Re: P/S wattage?

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 pm

300 watts is not enough. Basically you should go with as much as you can afford. Gaming cards use a lot of power, especially on the 12 volt rail. Old PSs don't have much available amperage there. I'd recommend a minimum 550Watt with around 30 amps on the 12V rail. Don't forget, you'll also need it to have a 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

Luckily, they can be had for a reasonable price (somewhere in the $60-$70) range. Tiger Direct has one that is 650Watt with 46 Amps on the 12V rail for $59 ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =K450-0600 ) You can probably find an even better deal in your area.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Hey Craig, thanks for confirming that :wave:

I was afraid that was the answer. Might put my build off a little longer, but there is absolutely no sense in doing it half... sd. ;)

And thanks for the tip about the 12VDC amps and PCI3 power connector. Things I could have easily overlooked.

Oh, and thanks for the link too. ;)

PS: I like your new look, btw ;) :rawk: :thumb:
Last edited by DaveDaDude on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 pm

That's not necessarily the right one, but an example of costs vs. what's out there. Picking one with the right numbers is important. Another thing is to pick the PS up. If it's light, put it back down and move on. A good PS is heavy.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 am

Light vs heavy, that's because of better shielding and cleaner rectification?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Heavier means better quality parts. ie. A heavier PS will have larger capacitors, thicker wires, larger transformer, larger heat sinks, more connectors, and more capacitors than a lighter one of the same wattage.
Craig Brophy