Favorite Ways to Clean Your Computer Screens?

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Favorite Ways to Clean Your Computer Screens?

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am

Got any tips on cleaning monitor screens? what are your favorite and most effective ways you do it? :rawk: :thumb:
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Ways to Clean Your Computer Screens?

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 am

First off, make sure that the monitor is off.

Next, use a soft cloth like an eyeglass cleaning cloth to wipe the screen. I've also heard of people using dry erasers like you'd use for a white board. Do not press on the screen; simply wipe. If you press, you can burn out pixels.

If there are things that don't come off with simple wiping, you can use the same soft cloth and a screen cleaner like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4204

For smaller water spots etc. I've simply wet my finger with my tongue, wiped across the spot and then wiped the spot off with the cloth. Although... this isn't the recommended method so I can't guarantee anything... ;)
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am

Craig wrote:For smaller water spots etc. I've simply wet my finger with my tongue, wiped across the spot and then wiped the spot off with the cloth. Although... this isn't the recommended method so I can't guarantee anything... ;)
Hmm... don't know if I can get your spit in the local shops either...

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 am

Vince wrote:
Craig wrote:For smaller water spots etc. I've simply wet my finger with my tongue, wiped across the spot and then wiped the spot off with the cloth. Although... this isn't the recommended method so I can't guarantee anything... ;)
Hmm... don't know if I can get your spit in the local shops either...
It's a huge seller over here, Vince. "Craig's Spit"! Only pennies a litre! The only problem is, it take a long time to produce large volumes so your order needs to be made well in advance.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

I like taking them through the car wash.. but they don't seem to work afterwords.... LMAO!
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Verndog wrote:I like taking them through the car wash.. but they don't seem to work afterwords.... LMAO!
:( :roll: :mad: :P
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

Stamplicker
Gold Member

Post by Stamplicker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Stamplicker wrote:Try this with some bacon
:shock: :mad: :roll: :mad:

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:07 am

Back to Craig's spit, doesn't "mommy" spit work better? I am taking my monitor to moms this weekend.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Craig wrote:First off, make sure that the monitor is off.

Next, use a soft cloth like an eyeglass cleaning cloth to wipe the screen. I've also heard of people using dry erasers like you'd use for a white board. Do not press on the screen; simply wipe. If you press, you can burn out pixels.

If there are things that don't come off with simple wiping, you can use the same soft cloth and a screen cleaner like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4204

For smaller water spots etc. I've simply wet my finger with my tongue, wiped across the spot and then wiped the spot off with the cloth. Although... this isn't the recommended method so I can't guarantee anything... ;)
Yeah but who of us hasn't poked the screen just to see the color change when we're bored?

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:59 am

thebigred67 wrote:
Craig wrote:First off, make sure that the monitor is off.

Yeah but who of us hasn't poked the screen just to see the color change when we're bored?
:wave:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

thebigred67 wrote:Yeah but who of us hasn't poked the screen just to see the color change when we're bored?
LOL! Yeah, I suppose so. But just don't make a habit of it. Those pixels are created with tiny little prisms. Poke one a snap or dislodge it and you have either a stuck pixel (always white) or a burned out pixel (always black); and once you know it's there, you can't not see it. :shock:
Craig Brophy

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Craig wrote:
thebigred67 wrote:Yeah but who of us hasn't poked the screen just to see the color change when we're bored?
LOL! Yeah, I suppose so. But just don't make a habit of it. Those pixels are created with tiny little prisms. Poke one a snap or dislodge it and you have either a stuck pixel (always white) or a burned out pixel (always black); and once you know it's there, you can't not see it. :shock:
So far I have been lucky.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

While drinking beer, coffee, Captain Morgan's Private Stock, coffee with Captain Morgan's Private Stock, or- a personal favorite- Captain Morgan's Private Stock with a little coffee- read through guitar-related forums until you see something so funny you involuntarily LOL and spray all over the monitor-screen in the process. Wipe with shirt, drink, and repeat. Spontaneity is the key- plan ahead!

~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?