Craig's interface issue.

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
Verndog
Platinum Member

Craig's interface issue.

Post by Verndog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Rather than filling up Craig's kudos for doing a great job on "whipping post" I'll come over here. The static now narrowed down to FireWire issue prompts me to say try the USB but not for recording, just to see if the unit itself has a noise glitch after the converter to pc. I do believe there is a way to reduce the FireWire voltage in the data line. Or another way is to use the power adapter. FireWire units have step up voltage units to provide phantom power for condensers. If a cap is noisy it will do high frequency bleed through. Using the adapter may reduce it. If already using it, try to unplug it and let FireWire power it. Just suggestions. If it happens with Mac and Pc, sounds like a filter issue in the unit.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Craig's interface issue.

Post by Craig » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks, Vern!

My unit doesn't have a USB. It's strictly firewire. One of the solutions I read was to remove the power source, if you are using it (I am not). Apparently running the unit with the power supply plugged in, can cause it to be "over powered".
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm

I should add that, right before the noise, the input meters all start going nuts (even the MIDI light flashes).
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Here is a video, shot by someone else with the same problem:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdtYngY3tc[/video]
Craig Brophy

Stamplicker
Gold Member

Post by Stamplicker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 pm

each unit ships with its' own unique poltergiest ;) Be the first to collect them all ;)

As mentioned in the whipping thread, if you can safely open it with out voiding warranty (if there is warranty still)... have a look at all the board connections for a bad joint. or even a bad caps?

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Not a bad idea. I know that, the guys who sent their units back to the manufacturer wound up having them returned. The guys at MOTU couldn't find the problem. However, bad caps are easy to spot so it couldn't hurt to check.
Craig Brophy

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 am

Yep. This all looks like caps and rated tolerance not right. Caps are a big part of filtration.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185