Norton sucks

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
Hard Tail
Gold Member

Norton sucks

Post by Hard Tail » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 am

Craig,

My wife updated something for Norton yesterday and she wasn't able to use her web browsers after that.

I've had enough of that POS app and uninstalled the whole thing. Now the browsers work.

But... her PC is vulnerable now.

Any suggestions on what I can replace Norton with?

Thanks,
Keith

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Norton sucks

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 am

Are you looking for a free or a paid antivirus? Do you need just antivirus or are you looking for a full suite?

I was using the free version of Avira (free-av.com) for years. When I upgraded to Windows 8, I finally decided to give Microsoft Security Essentials a try. It came with system and is free. It does the job and as long as you use a little common sense (don't run programs you are unfamiliar with, don't open strange emails etc.) you are safe. If it doesn't work out, there is a set I like to always have on hand:
-Avira Free for viruses
-Malwarebytes for other stuff

If you are looking for paid programs, "Kaspersky" universally comes out on top as far as detections and reliability go. There is an independent company that tests antivirus software and they put Kaspersky on top for paid and Avira on top for free with Kaspersky fairing slightly better in overall tests (not sure if "slightly better" is worth $70 but that's up to you).

If you have any questions, let me know!
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 am

One other thing I should mention, all anti-virus software needs to be updated to be effective. If you don't keep it up to date and run regular scans, it isn't going to work nearly as well.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 am

Sorry..one last thing...Another review site had this to say about the debate between paid and free anti-virus:

Some paid alternatives, like F-Secure, Norton, and McAfee Total Protection are better at finding viruses and malware than some free options, but they do so at the cost of your system resources (and your wallet). We personally don't think they're necessary in a home setting, as long as you use good browsing habits, but if you want to protect yourself against every possible virus or theoretical piece of malware you could get, they might be the way to go.

In the end, the best possible antivirus you can have is good browsing practices (you know, in case I haven't mentioned that enough). They're more effective than any antivirus software out there, and they won't put any kind of drain on your system resources, money, or stress level. Keep Windows and applications like Flash updated, stop downloading questionable files, and just practice good common sense. If you do, you'll probably have to deal with your antivirus program very little.
Craig Brophy

Michael Patrick
Charter Member

Post by Michael Patrick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 am

And now for something completely different...

U.S. antivirus legend John McAfee wanted for murder in Belize
John McAfee, the estranged founder of the antivirus firm that bears his name, is wanted by the Belize police in connection with a murder, FoxNews.com has confirmed.

McAfee, whose very name is synonymous with security, is a prime suspect in the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, a well-liked builder from Florida who was shot Saturday night at his home in San Pedro Town on the island of Ambergris Caye, according to a series of exposes on tech blog Gizmodo. Vienne Robinson, assistant superintendent of the San Pedro police department in Belize, told FoxNews.com that police are actively searching for McAfee.

“We are looking for him in connection with the murder,” Robinson told FoxNews.com. “No one has been charged with murder yet,” she said, noting that there is one suspect already in custody.
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming...
We'll go to Beverly Hills
Just before dawn
Knock the little jockeys
Off the rich peoples' lawns
And before they get up
I'll be gone

Hard Tail
Gold Member

Post by Hard Tail » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Craig.

I'm sure I could have fixed the problem and left Norton running but I'm about getting sick of how tightly this app is intertwined in everything else so I removed it.

I'll check out some of your suggestions.

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I hear you. Norton is like it's own little virus.
Craig Brophy

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

I desired I wanted better protection and did the Avast Paid version and it seems to be working great.

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey Craig, do you think the Microsoft Security Essentials is bloated at all? or do they have it pretty trimmed down??
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm

So far it seems pretty good, Lee. I haven't been using this system for very long but I will certainly let you know.
Craig Brophy

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks Craig! I know it is recommended by a local radio program here that deals with internet subjects etc. I know it's a free download etc...
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

When I used Windows and had anti virus stuff I noticed near the end of your subscription time, the things became memory hogs and started to go arry. Then updates became more frequent and then bam. A total reformat of the anti virus engines came out. But even when I did the installation it seemed the old program still was active, especially Norton, and then it would battle itself. Oh how I don't miss those days!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Norton was known for that. A horrible program.

Now that Mac has waved the "virus free" flag and got the attention of the hackers, you are apt to see MANY more viruses over the next few years, designed for attacking Macs. After the Flashback botnet struck more than 600,000 Mac computers worldwide, Apple changed it's tune. An article from "The Atlantic": "In the wake of that attack, Apple is downgrading its antiviral swagger. On the company’s site, its former, blunt message — “it doesn’t get PC viruses” — has been replaced by a more generic boast: “It’s built to be safe.” And the slogan of the past — “Safeguard your data. By doing nothing.” — has been replaced by the much gentler “Safety. Built in.”

There is no such thing as "virus free". Soon, Macs will find themselves swimming in the same virus filled Ocean as PCs. I only hope they are smart enough to wear protection.
Craig Brophy

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 pm

" I only hope they are smart enough to wear protection."

LOL~!!!!! :) :shock: :geek: :twisted: :pirate: :rawk: :thumb:

Geoff
Charter Member

Post by Geoff » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm

I remember when Peter Norton still owned the company and it was a good and tight product(s).

I haven't used Norton or MacAfee for years - many years.

I use a free product called 'Private Firewall' which does all the things ZoneAlarm used to do (which I used for years till they castrated it). It used to be a commercial product that's now given for free - it's good, try it.

I also use Avira or AVG for virus detection. One seems about as good as the other.

I've put the Windows Defender on a couple of rigs for friends who wanted it. I get the impression it's fine. It seems to be a little lax at picking up virus infections, but once it's nailed them down, it's very good at removing them. The Windows Firewall doesn't quite have the control as-is as other firewalls, but there's a prog that turns it into the full Momte - it has Windows XP in the title but works in 7 (maybe 8) - I can't remember the name - maybe something like Windows XP Firewall Control Prog, or something. You could also look for a prog called 'God Mode' which is a kind of Super Tweaker and it allows you to turn a few dicey things off.

If you're behind a hardware firewall on the router/modem things shouldn't be too bad anyway.

Add Ccleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot & you're good to go.

G.
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace. Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music