Importance of memory

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
Verndog
Platinum Member

Importance of memory

Post by Verndog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:31 am

No... Not ours but computers. I always never used some of the higher ez drummers' producer settings cause I always had issues with play back. Finally discovered I was not using the second part of my processor due to memory ram placement. Finally looking around the web, Kingston has a price for Apple compatible ram, an unbelievable 49 bucks for 8 gig sticks! So I bought 2 sets. Easy pesy to put in as well.

Well I did the upgrade and what the hell did I wait for? Well price yea, but man how fast can it go? During a test, I opened up superior drums, metal foundry and the biggest ram user producer setting, 1989meg to be exact. Pulled in ten audio files and hit play. Of course CPU use high but not one hit I could see to hard drive in any kind of dump use, and had enough memory left over to discover web browser still open as well as email. All for a hundred bucks!

Now I feel more productive. And more time on my hands equal more song stuff!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Importance of memory

Post by Craig » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am

That's great, Vern! I expect we will be hearing the results of the upgrade, sometime in the near future?

Yup, a computer is only as strong as it's weakest link. The CPU is the first thing folks update but they always seem to forget the RAM. Another one that will give you a huge boost is the hard drive. If you are running a slower, "normal speed" hard drive, upgrading to a fast one will make a huge difference in recording and the number of tracks you can use.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Re: Importance of memory

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Oh for sure Vern! Craig loaded mine up with all the memory it could take and it never chokes!
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums