Disable Java in our browsers?

A place for all your DAW and general computer related questions.
Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Disable Java in our browsers?

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 pm

"Experts say latest Java software opens PCs to hackers"

Waddya think?

If so (embarrassing dumb question time), just how do I do so?

EDIT: I tried the Rapid 7 service-'page, and got the following result:
isjavaexploitable.com wrote:Is your Java exploitable?

Java plugin was not detected. This indicates that either you don't have Java installed or it isn't enabled in this browser. This browser should be safe from drive-by exploitation via Java.
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Craig
Site Admin

Re: Disable Java in our browsers?

Post by Craig » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:45 pm

I just heard about this today. I'm sure there will be an update to fix any issues. Personally, When "Sun Java" came out, it was so bloated and over sized, I removed it right away. I haven't installed Java since.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm

If someone reading this does have Java installed, I'd recommend following the suggestion in the article and only enable it, when it is needed.

For Firefox, click on Tools/Add Ons/Plug ins. Disable Java. If you get to a page where you need it (and more importantly, a page you trust) simply go back to the same location and enable it. When you are done, go back in and turn it back off.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Checking to see if any of my Firefox browser's add-ons needed to be updated, I also got the following:
Firefox wrote:Missing JAVA? For your safety, Firefox has disabled your outdated version of Java. Please upgrade to the latest version.
So, I went ahead and downloaded and installed their recommended iteration of Java, after deleting an older Java install-program, and then disabled the two new Java add-ons in my Ff browser for now...

Your thoughts?

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry, Caev. I've been swamped with computer stuff lately and I forgot I was helping you on Facebook. Maybe easier to do it here.

When you updated/installed Java, did it fix your Youtube issues?
Craig Brophy

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Craig wrote:Sorry, Caev. I've been swamped with computer stuff lately and I forgot I was helping you on Facebook. Maybe easier to do it here.

When you updated/installed Java, did it fix your Youtube issues?
You've nothing to apologize for, Craig! I just posted about this here because it was a Java related thread, and thought that someone else might benefit.

So far- and without deliberately doing a "torture test"- YouTube vids and audio seem to be running much better again, thanks. Just specifically why and how I'm not quite certain, though!

So, do you think that it was a good idea to download and install the "latest" Java from that Ff link, as Ff recommended? Should I enable it (Toolkit and Platform) or leave it disabled?

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Personally, I don't use it. Unless you find yourself in a situation where something won't load and it points to Java as the reason, I'd leave it disabled for now.
Craig Brophy

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Well, I updated Java and now the site that told me I was in Grave Peril says I am safe again. But yeah, Craig's right. If I'm not using it, there's not much point in leaving it enabled.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks, guys! I'm with you fellas!

:D :thumb: :cool:

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 am

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Vince wrote:And after everything, now this.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... stall-tool
Hmmmnn, if I'm running Firefox and Google Chrome, should I be concerned with that at all?

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 am

My advice is, drop IE like a rock and never look back. Use Firefox if you like a few bells and whistles or Chrome if you just want to surf.
Craig Brophy

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 am

Craig wrote:My advice is, drop IE like a rock and never look back. Use Firefox if you like a few bells and whistles or Chrome if you just want to surf.
So, if I'm using Firefox and Google Chrome, I don't need to concern myself with installing that? Just making sure, as I thought that Ff (and maybe GChr?) used IE to some extent... ? (I almost never ever use IE for anything at all.)

Not meaning to be an annoying pest, just being thorough...