Guitars, Amps, Gear and More!

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Click button to "like" this topic on Google!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 pm 
Charter Member

I just got a new Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head Big Muff clone. It is a clone of a rare Muff variant made in '73 that has FS36999 trannies and green ceramic .047 caps throughout. There's only two of these variants so far that we know of or have seen pictures of on the Web (although there have to be more out there). I happen to own one of them... In addition to the green ceramic disc caps, the distortion section is different from most Ram's Heads, I think Matt said it is more similar to a Triangle Muff. Whatever, it is by far the best sounding Muff I have ever owned, and it is the standard by which I have judged every other Muff and Muff clone that I've owned since I bought mine (used) back in 1979.

It's called the "2247" model because that is what the other known one recently sold for on eBay.

Matt did have to make a few changes because some of the parts are just not available. FS36999s don't grow on trees, and the green ceramic discs he could get were from a different manufacturer and sounded different.

So, how does the SUF clone stack up against the real thing? Well, if a pic is worth a thousand words, maybe a video is worth 100,000?

The two are very close. I mean really really REALLY close. The sound on the video doesn't do either pedal justice, but I think my search for a substitute Muff (so I can leave my vintage unit at home) is over. Seriously, it is that good.

Off the rich peoples' lawns
And before they get up
I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:54 pm 
Charter Member

:thumb: :thumb:

That sounds pretty darn close. Glad to hear you've found a replacement. Does it temp you to sell it after seeing the outcome on that ebay auction? :D

I used to have a triangle knob Muff that was in excellent shape. I got it from Angela Instruments in about 1991 for $25! This was right before vintage effects really took off...... I used it quite a bit for a while, but then it sat for quite a while. I kinda wanted to keep it, but I never used it and really wanted a Tele. I ended up ebaying it for almost $600, so it all worked out. Here's a pic of it:

EDIT for better picture.

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm 
Charter Member

Well, mine is on no where near as good shape as the one that hit the jackpot on eBay....

The pots are all sheared off, and I need to use a screwdriver to adjust them (although I also don't have to worry about my settings getting changed by a random foot bump...). It's been modded for true bypass and a 9v adapter. For a while I had to bang it on the floor to get it to turn on, but I think I have that fixed for the time being....

Off the rich peoples' lawns
And before they get up
I'll be gone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm 
Charter Member

Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)
Noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :cool: I don't know but what I might even like the SUF VRH a little bit betterer than the old EH at times in your clip there! Sounds excellent.

I see that they also make an op-amp/IC Pi stylee, as well- the orange SUF Pumpkin Pi; cool! I'd LOVE to compare it to a Euthymia ICBM Fuzz. You may remember that I used to have an original op-amp EH BMP, compared to which all other muffs have fallen short in my ears... Of course, "YMMV", I recall that you prefer your transistorized Pi's! :thumb: :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?