Render Format

Learn how to set up a home studio. Ask questions about writing songs. Post your music. This forum is all about making music.
Craig
Site Admin

Render Format

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:43 pm

So...here is a question for the ages. Lately, I've just been rendering my songs as 320VBR MP3s. Seems to do just fine. However, I've found that, when a song has a lot of parts, the subtle air that adds separation, goes away with MP3 and makes things sound mushed together. So...short of WAV files, what is the best option to maintain as much of the original sound as possible and not fill my hard drive up?
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Verndog
Platinum Member

Re: Render Format

Post by Verndog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Have you tried lowering the sample rate from 24 to 16? Sometimes the "space" becomes ignored in the conversion. 24 bit great when tracking to create that effect, but at final mix down, change it to 16. That way the mp3 conversion should accept the space air samples.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:19 pm

I have not. However, my recordings are all done in 24 bit. I'd hate to lower the sample rate down for the original.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Keep the multitrack at 24 bit. The master needs to reduce to 16 bit. Most mp3 formats compress 24 to 16. MP3 compression bad. Daw conversion good. Mix to a standardize 1400 at 44.8 MHz then use that to export to mp3. (Industry standard at 128k non variable bit). This usually keeps the air there.

The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Ahhh... So I render a 16 bit, 44.8 lossless (like WAV) then use that to convert to MP3?
Craig Brophy

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Yep. Only render down in the final two steps.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Vern knows stuff.

:snax:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296