dumb newbie questions...

Learn how to set up a home studio. Ask questions about writing songs. Post your music. This forum is all about making music.

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

dumb newbie questions...

Post by DaveDaDude » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Well... I hope to have a real electric guitar "soon" and might like to record, if only to document changes in gear, I sux as a guitar player but am an obsessive gearhead in everything I do. :D

I have a Shure 57 mic. I have a laptop computer that's fairly recent. Is that all I need besides some DAW (or whatever) software? How do I get the Shure's 1/4 Jack Plug into the computer. I've tried jamming into every hole and orifice in the computer without success. :roll:

Short and simple since I know virtually nothing about it other than recording vinyl records to 8-Track and then Cassette tape and general guidelines in recording levels.
:blah: :blah: :blah:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18
Roland Jazz Chorus 55 (c 1986)
Epiphone Galaxie 10 (Tube) Combo;
DigiTech Genesis 3, Nano PB-1 Volume Boost Pedal, BOSS GE-7 EQ
oh... and a Shure SM57 too

PhotoBucket sux, see their new "3rd Party Hosting" policy :mad:

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Re: dumb newbie questions...

Post by DaveDaDude » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 pm

An update to my first post.

I've done a bunch of (somewhat random) research on the area. I think I understand now that I need an Audio Interface of some kind. That and a Mic Stand and it's already getting expensive for my fixed income retirement. :( I was about to give up the idea entirely, when I realized there was a second (probably even more than that) reason to record; to share my results with all ya'all. ;) Specifically, I was looking at the new Martin Titanium Core strings and thought it would be nice to share the difference with you. Damn! They are super expensive. $40 for strings that aren't bass!! :shock:

The DAW software seems to be a can of worms with varying (and often near-violent) opinions on the best type. I downloaded Reaper last night only because it was easy to do. The User Manual is overwhelming. I could see it taking a couple of WEEKS before I could record even the simplest thing.

The only reason I'm hesitant to get into the whole field is that I know myself. I'll get compulsive about it and want this... then that... then... even more. :D I used to be very particular when recording vinyl to tape. I had the best 8-Track recorder available (not saying much, I know), a Roberts (now Akai) recorder that would lock in a tape cartridge in a death grip. Some of the tapes I recorded I later found to be unplayable in my car deck (AR maybe, a huge beast of a "deck" under the dash). In checking the cartridge I found one of the idler pulley (don't remember the correct name for it atm, but it allows the tape to turn the corners) could barely be turned by hand, yet it played just fine in the Roberts.

Sorry, I digress. :blush:

Please let me know your thoughts. :cookie:s for everyone! :D
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm no expert, but if you have an iPhone, or the like, you can use the simple voice memos app to get reasonable recordings. There also is Garage Band, though I've not used it.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Oy... I feel like a total geek nerd now.
Reaper is free, very adaqute and the correct interface does well. But learning it is quite a chore from first starting out.
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Verndog wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:56 pm
Oy... I feel like a total geek nerd now.
Reaper is free, very adaqute and the correct interface does well. But learning it is quite a chore from first starting out.
If you feel like a "total geek nerd", I must be... like... a virgin total geek nerd. :roll:

And... yes... a VERY long learning curve for Reaper, plus $100 for an Audio Interface that might mean foregoing a Pedal. Cell phone is a good idea. ;) :D
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of home recording, Dave! We look forward to hearing your creations. It really is a lot of fun, I think and from what it sounds like, you are basically just going to be recording yourself - guitar and maybe vocals? Or just guitar?

I can't tell you much about the iPhone thing or Garage Band, but I have heard it is fairly simple in comparison with something like Reaper. With any DAW there is going to be a learning curve for sure. I use Reaper and love it. Yes, the manual is quite intimidating but they have some great online tutorials to get you started that are easier than the oft referred to and sometimes dreaded RTFM approach. :) But yes, as your research indicated, you will need an interface of some sort if you do not go the iPhone route. I can't really offer any advice on these since, if you look down a few threads from this one in this forum, I have been recording on a stand alone unit all these years and have only begun mixing in Reaper for almost 2 years now. All our recording is still done on that stand alone unit and then transferred over to Reaper. This will soon change as I finally put an order in for an interface, but it has a lot more inputs and more suited to our personal situation, recording an entire band with drums instead of one or two items.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about all your fun adventures in this new endeavor! :rawk:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:44 pm

splitting hare wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm
Welcome to the wonderful world of home recording, Dave! We look forward to hearing your creations. It really is a lot of fun, I think and from what it sounds like, you are basically just going to be recording yourself - guitar and maybe vocals? Or just guitar?
Uhmmmm... yeah, just guitar. My singing is... spotty, once and a while not bad, but mostly... horrible. I do believe it is a matter of confidence though. That much being said, I'd like to concentrate more on the guitar (and EFX) than the singing.
splitting hare wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm
I can't tell you much about the iPhone thing or Garage Band, but I have heard it is fairly simple in comparison with something like Reaper. With any DAW there is going to be a learning curve for sure. I use Reaper and love it. Yes, the manual is quite intimidating but they have some great online tutorials to get you started that are easier than the oft referred to and sometimes dreaded RTFM approach. :)
RTFM doesn't always work. In 1984/5 I had my first introduction to CAD and computers. I went to a new (much smaller) company and extolled the virtues of CAD. Be careful what you ask for. The president had my boss and me infor a meeting and had me go out and get quotes for three PC CAD stations (then in its infancy) and put me in charge of the new "CAD Department". After first setting up the three so they at least worked... and the CAD, I had a few minor DOS problems (you remember DOS?). I took the DOS manual home to read over that night. Definitely not a RTFM thing. I gave up and just looked things up as the problems popped up. Actually became fairly proficient in it.

I would probably like to get some instrument emulations so I could play along with a "band", but all that would come much later. For now, I might just record with my cell phone to document the change in guitars and amplifiers. Getting the guitars (I actually have no electric guitar atm) and upgrading my two amps (probably into one good used Fender) and getting my basic EFX is foremost on my list.

Thanks for the "attaboy" though. ;) (1) :cookie: :roll:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:51 pm

I'd highly recommend the Behringer UMC202HD. Not only does it have amazing A/d conversion but it also has some pretty kick ass mic pre's that far outshine the ones I had on my Tascam unit. Best of all, it can be had for a mere $59!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD

Also, Reaper is an AMAZING program. Go with it for sure. While it's not free, it IS an unlimited demo; to be honest though, it's price is SO fair, I really didn't mind paying for it.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Topic Author
DaveDaDude
Charter Member

Post by DaveDaDude » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Craig wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:51 pm
I'd highly recommend the Behringer UMC202HD. Not only does it have amazing A/d conversion but it also has some pretty kick ass mic pre's that far outshine the ones I had on my Tascam unit. Best of all, it can be had for a mere $59!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD

Also, Reaper is an AMAZING program. Go with it for sure. While it's not free, it IS an unlimited demo; to be honest though, it's price is SO fair, I really didn't mind paying for it.
Thanx for the info Craig. :cookie: :horns:

Data... I need data. Be careful of asking for data. Now I have many terabytes of data... :geek: :roll: It's all good though, all that many different ways to cure my ongoing GAS problem. :deadhorse:
Dave

1972 Martin D-18