Selling or trading my Ovation 2002

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
Guitarzannie
Charter Member

Selling or trading my Ovation 2002

Post by Guitarzannie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:05 pm

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I will have to get rid of my Ovation 2002 Collectors. It is a fine guitar, but I have developed shoulder, knee and finger pain. The doctor has tested me, but he really doesn't know if I have Rheumatoid or osteo arthritis. One of my blood tests did test higher than normal for rheumatoid arthritis, but the next test showed nothing. I have been tested for Lyme and lupus, and both tests came back negative. He has me on a medication that seems to help somewhat, but my fingers, knees and shoulder still hurt.

I was playing my teacher's epiphone and noticed that I did not have the pain as much in my shoulder as I did with my Ovation.

So now I'm looking at replacing my much beloved Ovation Collectors with a nice classical guitar. I took my Ovation to GC just to see what they would give me for the guitar. They told me that they would give me $350 and tag it for $700. I had heard that GC lowballs people when it comes to a trade in. My teacher told me that they tried to lowball her on some guitar.

My question is: how would I go about getting the most money for this guitar? I have no experience with Ebay. I did get a blue book value for this guitar, and it said it was worth around $468 for a guitar in average condition.

Would I have a better chance with someone who sells more Ovations that GC?

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Michelle
Celebrities, Preachers, Deacons and other Legends play Ovations!
Old Tupperware ladies never die, they buy Ovations!
Everyone should have carbon fiber in their diet
Fan of the FanTail headstock

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Selling or trading my Ovation 2002

Post by mdrs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about your "medical" issues, and hope they do pan out well for you.

As for your Ovation, that's what I got for my Ovation when I sold it a couple of years back. Unfortunately, that's about what they are worth. If you could find a private buyer, you could perhaps get more than the $350 GC is offering. However, selling to GC will be fast, and easy, which may make it the way to go.

Every retailer will "low ball" when they buy, and put the price up when they sell. It's how they make money, and not really dishonest or anything. It's just the way it is.

Out of curiosity, why a classical to replace the Ovation?
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Guitarzannie
Charter Member

Post by Guitarzannie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:56 pm

mdrs wrote:Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about your "medical" issues, and hope they do pan out well for you.

As for your Ovation, that's what I got for my Ovation when I sold it a couple of years back. Unfortunately, that's about what they are worth. If you could find a private buyer, you could perhaps get more than the $350 GC is offering. However, selling to GC will be fast, and easy, which may make it the way to go.

Every retailer will "low ball" when they buy, and put the price up when they sell. It's how they make money, and not really dishonest or anything. It's just the way it is.

Out of curiosity, why a classical to replace the Ovation?
Don, the only reasons I want a classical is that the nylon strings, the necks and the wind frets seem to be easier on my hands. And I like the sound of a classical.

Michelle

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Sorry to read of your troubles, Michelle!!

Now, could the bowl-back design and overall balance- and potential efforts for holding the guitar in proper playing position- be a part of the problems that you're having? It might be worth bringing up the question to your doctor...

As for selling your guitar, you would most likely get the most by patiently waiting for an individual who wanted that guitar; perhaps via a forum, Reverb or Craig's List or eBay...
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Guitarzannie
Charter Member

Post by Guitarzannie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Caevan O'Shite wrote:Sorry to read of your troubles, Michelle!!

Now, could the bowl-back design and overall balance- and potential efforts for holding the guitar in proper playing position- be a part of the problems that you're having? It might be worth bringing up the question to your doctor...

As for selling your guitar, you would most likely get the most by patiently waiting for an individual who wanted that guitar; perhaps via a forum, Reverb or Craig's List or eBay...
Hi Caev,

I did mention it to one of the doctors. He had no clue. However, I do have to have the tingling of various parts of my body checked out by possibly a neurologist.

I did have to go to a neurologist a few years ago. He is also an excellent guitar player, so maybe he can help. He plays Taylors and not ovations, but I still respect his opinions. :D :)

I may have a long wait for an individual who wants an Ovation. I could try the Ovation Fan Club, but I've never had to pack and ship a guitar before.

Michelle

Bluesape
Global Moderator

Post by Bluesape » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:08 am

I'd hate for you to part with that guitar too soon. Are you sure this is a permanent malady?

Guitarzannie
Charter Member

Post by Guitarzannie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Bluesape wrote:I'd hate for you to part with that guitar too soon. Are you sure this is a permanent malady?
Hi Reif: I hope that it isn't permanent. But I still would like to sell the guitar anyway, but it is difficult but not impossible to find a buyer for a nice Ovation guitar.

Michelle