Got the boot yesterday

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
Greg B.
Charter Member

Got the boot yesterday

Post by Greg B. » Sun May 17, 2015 12:50 pm

So the red dirt country band gave me the boot yesterday. And while I'm a bit disappointed, I understand completely why they did and its all good. I kind of saw it coming for a couple of reasons, mainly being that I'm just not familiar with red dirt at all.....I don't know the bands, don't know the songs, and normally just don't listen to it at all. Hell, I'm so out of touch with any country music that I didn't have any idea that quite a bit of it was major scale stuff....something that I can do, but I'm not real comfortable doing it. The singer/guitarist and bassist have been playing together since college (over 20 years), and they are wanting to start gigging asap, which with me on board is admittedly holding them back. They are wanting to practice at least 2-3 times a week and I just can't do that even if I wanted to. With me, they'd probably be ready to gig by the middle to end of summer, without me, they could realistically be gigging in probably 3-4 weeks.

They did handle it all really well, I must admit. Originally they were going to all talk to me, but the drummer (who I've known longest and been better friends with----I also got him hooked up with these guys), told them that he wanted to be the one to tell me. He was honest and direct, which I appreciate. It still stung a little bit, but I completely understand why and don't blame them a bit. I'll still stay friends with them and most likely will go see them when they start gigging. I don't normally hold grudges (life it too short for BS like that....)and this is no different, especially when I would feel the same if I were in their position. Plus, I've still got 2 other bands going (well, one is consistent, the other is still going, just a little inconsistent since our singer's job is out of town a lot), so it's not like I'm without a band. I'm thinking about looking for a real blues band now..... :D
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Michael Patrick
Charter Member

Re: Got the boot yesterday

Post by Michael Patrick » Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 pm

I gotta admit that I have no idea what red dirt country is either.... Sorry you got the boot. Something else will come along. One door closes, another one opens...
We'll go to Beverly Hills
Just before dawn
Knock the little jockeys
Off the rich peoples' lawns
And before they get up
I'll be gone

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Red dirt is pretty popular around here, since it essentially started in Stillwater OK, about 60 miles west of here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dirt_(music)

While I like some classic country (pre-1980's...), I generally can't stand most modern commercial country, although there's quite a bit of good red dirt stuff out there.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun May 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Well handled by all, it sounds like. Bands come, and bands go. Ya gotta go with the flow.

I think it's cool that you tried something that was out of your wheel house!

Rock on, Greg! :rawk:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Verndog
Platinum Member

Post by Verndog » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 am

I know the feeling. Imagine the guy that gets a band together ends up quiting because he can't keep up! So myself, a killer drummer and a guitarist willing to play anything is now looking for a vocalist. I think you'll be fine though.
The stupidity of one's actions is equally proportioned to the amount of people who saw you do it
Single can be purchased here!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/devil ... =721722185

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am

Sorry to hear that, Greg. But yes, it does sound like everything was handled in a very professional manner. And you still have other projects going if I remember correctly? One thing I have learned is always try to play to your strengths and continue to work on those areas that you are not as strong in and step outside of your normal comfort zone. It can be a very educating (and humbling) experience. Over the years I have been pretty fortunate with having bandmates being patient on my learning and playing a song or two within our entire set that are not within my comfort zone. But this was just a song or two, not an entire set. Kudos for you for putting forth the effort! :thumb:
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Never fun but it sounds like it was handled well. Last time I got the boot I found out that people whom I had considered friends for almost ten years were not my friends at all.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am

Sorry you "got the boot", but GLAD for you that you got some more experience. All-around, this will prove to have been a learning experience for you; you'll be a better guitarist, musician, band-member, and person. Learning by many means at home by oneself is one thing, but playing with others does a LOT for you, even being in a band that you quit or get dropped from. ESPECIALLY if it's outside your comfort zone, as Don made a good point about above here. That's a GREAT way to improve your playing.

There was a Country band that I was briefly in long ago, I played rhythm guitar. Besides the music being a big learning curve, I learned that some music that I might not generally enjoy listening to can still be A LOT of fun to play! In this particular band, I also learned about dealing with a shyster "manager", too! :)

:geek: By the way, do you have a phaser, like an MXR Phase 45 or Phase 90, a Boss PH-1 or PH-1r? (My VFE Enterprise, currently named Tractor Beam, does a fine job at replicating all of those.) :D In all seriousness, a lot of classic '70s Country tunes had phasers onboard, them good ol' boys straightenin' some curves... :thumb:
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Bluesape
Global Moderator

Post by Bluesape » Wed May 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Being the leader has saved me from the boot innumerable times. It can be difficult to assimilate someone else's vision, but running the show assures me of my place in my band at all times.

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed May 27, 2015 10:51 pm

Bluesape wrote:Being the leader has saved me from the boot innumerable times. It can be difficult to assimilate someone else's vision, but running the show assures me of my place in my band at all times.
Good call! :cool: :wave:
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu May 28, 2015 7:07 am

Bluesape wrote:Being the leader has saved me from the boot innumerable times. It can be difficult to assimilate someone else's vision, but running the show assures me of my place in my band at all times.

That was Lee's philosophy, too!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296