Daylight Saving Time

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Daylight Saving Time

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 am

Some of you may have noticed that the time in the forum, is incorrect. If so, you'll need to turn off the DST in your member settings as follows:

-Click on "user control panel" in the top right.
- Click on "Board Preferences" from the menu on the left.
-Select "no" next to "Summer Time/DST is in effect:"

We could have it set to change back and forth, automatically, but because the changes are on different dates for different area (and some areas don't change their clocks at all), it's best to leave it as a manual, user's setting.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Hard Tail
Gold Member

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by Hard Tail » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

Just changed mine. Thanks.

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:52 am

Yup changed...thanks Craig!!
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

Rampdog
Charter Member

Post by Rampdog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

That worked for me too Craig... But I'm still about 8 minutes behind... :?

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Rampdog wrote:That worked for me too Craig... But I'm still about 8 minutes behind... :?
The server was a bit slow...Should be OK now.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Rampdog
Charter Member

Post by Rampdog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 am

Craig wrote:
Rampdog wrote:That worked for me too Craig... But I'm still about 8 minutes behind... :?
The server was a bit slow...Should be OK now.
:thumb:

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:00 am

I did done did it, I mean I done did done it, ehr, it's more betterer now...
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Beat Poet

Post by Beat Poet » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

I wish you could adjust real-life DST like you can on a forum - the sun shouldn't be almost down by 4:30 in the afternoon!

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Beat Poet wrote:I wish you could adjust real-life DST like you can on a forum - the sun shouldn't be almost down by 4:30 in the afternoon!
Man that IS depressing!! :shakesfist:
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

rickygclef
Charter Member

Post by rickygclef » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

Beat Poet wrote:I wish you could adjust real-life DST like you can on a forum - the sun shouldn't be almost down by 4:30 in the afternoon!
I like the extra light getting going in the morning, but darkness a little after 5 pm is a drag :( Oh well :roll:
It messes with my sleep too. The whole notion of an extra hour of sleep is nonsense.
Of course I'm not much of a sleeper, but if you sleep 6 hours you sleep 6 hours!! It's just that it is 5 am instead of 6 am when I get up !! :cry:

Beat Poet

Post by Beat Poet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 am

Phew, the sun is now still mostly up at this time of the afternoon :D (4:05 PM)

halfnote
Silver Member

Post by halfnote » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Time's so arbitrary anyway that I hardly notice sometimes.

FWIW, I think there are some distinct flaws to the whole DST thing.
Sipposed to save electricity & allow more daylight in the afternoon, eh ?
Studies have shown that it doesn't have any such effect on usage & as for the advantage of light in the afternoon, crickey, there's already more light then as a natural effect of summer.
When I was a kid, ppl just changed the hours of their businesses if the wanted that .

Worse, I've noticed for several yrs---& this is consistent everywhere I've lived from Austin, TX, to Lex, KY, to ATL, GA--- that that DST has had some negative effect on standard time !
Notice when the sun rises & when it sets, during the part of the yr when DST's not in efect.
Should be equal hours from noon, eh ?
It's not; there's longer daylight in the afternoon.
Some differentiation could be attributed to environment such as mountains to the E or W or location within a time zone but the effect, as mentioned, seems fairly consistent, in all the places I've lived.

My hypothesis is that somewhere ---should I say somewhen?---maybe during the stress of WW2 or the turbulent 1960s they forgot to switch back from DST one year & then the next yr when DST kicked on & off, it left us all outta whack.

thebigred67
Gold Member

Post by thebigred67 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Craig wrote:Some of you may have noticed that the time in the forum, is incorrect. If so, you'll need to turn off the DST in your member settings as follows:

-Click on "user control panel" in the top right.
- Click on "Board Preferences" from the menu on the left.
-Select "no" next to "Summer Time/DST is in effect:"

We could have it set to change back and forth, automatically, but because the changes are on different dates for different area (and some areas don't change their clocks at all), it's best to leave it as a manual, user's setting.
I don't know that I would ever notice.

halfnote
Silver Member

Post by halfnote » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 am

I was abt to comment on this ("Hey, V helpful info, though I never actually look at the time stamp or even the date on these posts.") when I noticed by surprise that I already had. :shock:
Then realized it was from the WayBack Machine (TM).
Maybe I need to start looking at the time/date !

Topic Author
Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:54 am

I've done that, myself. All you can do is hope you didn't contradict your original post.

On a (somewhat) related note, I still agree with your post from 2012. Let's pick a time and stick with it.
Craig Brophy