Formal Daily Report

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Formal Daily Report

Post by mdrs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Glad she is getting a new oven. The old one doesn't sound safe!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Guitarzannie
Charter Member

Post by Guitarzannie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

mdrs wrote:Glad she is getting a new oven. The old one doesn't sound safe!

I just realized that her old oven was 17 years old. She was so afraid to use it that she microwaved everything until she got her new stove today.

I guess 17 years is about the going rate for appliances today.

And in other news, about two weeks ago I found out about a jam group that meets on Tuesday nights. I didn't check it out last Tuesday because I have been feeling so tired lately. The allergies have been really kicking in, and I have decided to start going for allergy shots.

Michelle
Celebrities, Preachers, Deacons and other Legends play Ovations!
Old Tupperware ladies never die, they buy Ovations!
Everyone should have carbon fiber in their diet
Fan of the FanTail headstock

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45 am

"Band Camp" has gone quite well.

Turns out the emphasis is on recording so it's five days of jamming, songwriting and recording. Don't know when I'll get the mixes but I'll post them when I do. :)

Lots of these guys are music students, so there's been a lot of talk about 15/6 time signatures and what not. Not really my cup of tea, but good to remember that these things exist.

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 am

Can't wait to hear it, Vince!
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 am

Yeah, same here!

I'm sure I'll wind up remixing some stuff but the tracks are there.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 pm

Very cool, Vince. Looking forward to hearing it.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 am

Had the oddest experience though. :D

WARNING: OLD GUY CONTENT

At 50, I was the oldest guy there. There were also some music student types. Really good players. Anyway, I was showing one of them my electric bass (a 70s Ibanez EB copy) and telling them about how I bought it from a pawn shop in about 1983 and all the changes I had made to it over the years.

A couple of hours later, I walk back into the room to catch them looking at the bass and heard one telling another "He was telling me about it, that bass is older than we are!"

And yeah, the bass which I bought when I was their age is now older than they are. It was funny, thinking about how time passes, but it really took me aback. I live in a world where I am pretty unlikely to encounter any gear that is older than I am, unless it's in some fancy collector guitar shop. It must be odd to live in a world where current stuff co-exists with stuff that is older than you, all in a weird, timeless soup.

I tried thinking back to when I was their age. So... 2014 - 30 = 1984. 1984 - 30 = 1954. I wouldn't have had much time for people trying to tell me all about how great music was in the 1950s and even the music was pretty much limited to "Golden Oldies" radio. This week away really gave me something resembling a bit of perspective.

I eventually played on a track from the two young guys. It was a soundscape thing (post-rock, I guess) and there was so much SOUND happening that I decided to get right out of their airspace and use the neck pickup on my bass. Wow, those sidewinder pickups don't kid around! :horns: The sound was so grunty. I have always been glad to have a JB pup on the bridge to balance things out but, after all these years, I have a sudden appreciation of the neck pup on its own. It was like a fricking giant rhino: amazingly huge, muscular sound. No wonder I've kept that bass since 1983 or whenever it was. :D

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:44 am

Yeah, growing old is strange. I'm still taken aback when I hear that some one was born in 1989 (the year I went on the road), and I meet them and they are a 25 year old adult. For some reason, I expect them to be little kids...

I remember the "Golden Oldies" on the radio. The "sockhops" at the school. The 50's come back stuff. I think it was mainly the teachers and parents, reliving their youths when I was a kid. With each generation I've seen more and more of my own childhood relived. Now, we seem to have passed my stuff.

The worst example is our local radio station, one that has been playing classic rock since the 70's, is making a switch to "rock". By rock they mean 90's stuff. It's so very strange to think that bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Nirvana and Guns N' Roses are now classic rock! I'm sad to see the music I grew up loving is now going off the air and, subsequently, off the social radar in much the same way as the 50's music did when I was a kid.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Craig wrote:It's so very strange to think that bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Nirvana and Guns N' Roses are now classic rock! I'm sad to see the music I grew up loving is now going off the air and, subsequently, off the social radar in much the same way as the 50's music did when I was a kid.

LOL, yeah... I still think of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Nirvana and Guns N' Roses as being (a little bit) new :D I hate this feeling of being pushed aside. But I suppose I was pretty dismissive of older stuff when I was young too, so it's only natural for new generations to do that.

The only thing is that, given my acoustic propensities, the obvious solution is to become a moldy old folkie and play with a bunch of other old luvvies. And that is not particularly appealing.

The funny bit is when you see kids on YouTube comments pages going on about 90s music like "the good old days" and "not the crap they make these days!"

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Fri May 02, 2014 2:58 pm

This was a post-rock, soundscape thing that we jammed out while we were there. I think the guitarists overreached a little (and I could have played with more snap), but it was very much on the wing. I'm playing my trusty EB copy.

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I like it. The rhythm guitar sounds like The Edge, which is a compliment in case it was clear. I like your bass. The lead guitar sounds cool. I'd like that tone, but might have a different melodic approach........

I dig it, Vince. Very cool. :rawk: :horns:
Don

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Fri May 02, 2014 4:21 pm

mdrs wrote:I like it. The rhythm guitar sounds like The Edge, which is a compliment in case it was clear. I like your bass. The lead guitar sounds cool. I'd like that tone, but might have a different melodic approach........

I dig it, Vince. Very cool. :rawk: :horns:
Thanks, Don. :D

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Very cool, Vince! Love the feel of it! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
Craig Brophy

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 am

Craig wrote:Very cool, Vince! Love the feel of it! Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
IT WAS, IT WAS! :D Feels like it was months ago already. Can't wait for the next one.

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed May 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Tell you what, I'm really enjoying this "Nashville" (ABC) on TV (TVNZ must have just bought it). Watched the pilot episode last night.

Ok, I miss the manic energy of the Robert Altman film of the same name, but I'm really liking the songs.