Formal Daily Report

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
splitting hare
Charter Member

Re: Formal Daily Report

Post by splitting hare » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 pm

mdrs wrote:-8F

That is all.

:wave:
Youch!

That's just wrong - wherever one lives! I was going to start a thread on how the winter weather has been this year for everyone but it would work just as well here. I know the Northeast and Midwest has been hit pretty hard. We have had a much colder than normal winter here, temps in the single digits on three occasions - down as low as 2.8 on our home thermometer one night. And we have had a few 48-72 hour stretches where the temps didn't get above freezing - that is very rare for it to happen here more than once every 5 years. Might get some snow here tomorrow. North Georgia just to the south of us got blasted with some snow that missed us this morning. This is one winter I won't mind seeing disappear - and it is nowhere near as bad as what some of you are all having to deal with!
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Here in NEPA we've been spoiled by having 3 or 4 really mild winters in a row. This winter breaks that trend!! We had a stretch about a month ago where it was single digits or minus temps every day for about 7 to 10 days. And we have a fair amount of snow on the ground. It's not been above freezing by more than a degree or two, and that only about 2 or 3 days in the past month. We had a day of freezing rain on top of the snow about a week ago, which has made it tough to shovel or plow the snow. And we've not had any snow melt away.

The storm that is again bringing ice to the south will turn up the coast and form a nor'easter leaving us with what is forecasted to be between a half of a foot to perhaps a foot of snow this coming Thursday.

That said, it's not even in the top 5 or 6 coldest winter on record here. So, as I always say, Mother Nature is still the boss!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:27 am

I'm glad we don't have extreme weather like that. We have very unstable weather but, except for the (frequent) 100mph + winds, it's not too bad.

jbote
Charter Member

Post by jbote » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Out here in California we are hurting for rain. Gov declared a drought a few weeks ago but hasn't declared mandatory rationing yet. He has asked everyone to cut back at least 10% though. Last week we finally had a substantial rain storm, but in the end it was just a drop in the bucket. Chances of rain usually disappear in April and don't return until November so we can only hope some storms begin to line up and douse us until then.
John

"This is no social crisis, it's just another tricky day for you." - Pete Townshend

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Ok, then... this one is for everyone in California.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhqv2ek5GF0[/video]

jbote
Charter Member

Post by jbote » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Vince - :thumb:
John

"This is no social crisis, it's just another tricky day for you." - Pete Townshend

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Vince wrote:Ok, then... this one is for everyone in California.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhqv2ek5GF0[/video]
What a cool song! And, man, I LOVE the tone and sound of the rhythm guitar tracks on it. Fantastic.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:07 am

In the last month we've had everything from temps in the upper 70's to almost 0, snow, a bit of rain, a bit of ice, and windy.....We've had an unusual amount of snow this winter, but none of the snow storms were crippling, mostly an inch, maybe two or less. Despite the snow, we're still in the middle of a drought, not severe levels yet, but it is still very dry. The melting snow we've had hasn't amounted to very much at all. Hopefully this spring will be fairly wet, which is somewhat usual around here.
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:58 am

9:45 AM and we've got about 5" of snow, since about 1 AM. As you'll see, it's coming down pretty good. Supposed to snow until midnight tonight, with heavier snow this evening. Expecting about a foot in total. Bring it on, Baby!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLk9K960 ... e=youtu.be[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLThB8D8 ... 87GgmhR57w[/video]
Don

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:52 pm

SO how do you guys heat the house? We have a woodburner.

Greg B.
Charter Member

Post by Greg B. » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Vince wrote:SO how do you guys heat the house? We have a woodburner.
Our house is central heat and air, which is pretty common around this part of the country. There's still quite a few older homes with floor furnaces and window unit A/C tho. When we built our house 11 years ago, we opted not to put in a fireplace, but now we're kind of wishing we had.....oh well, hindsight is 20/20.....
"Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker"--Fender guitar course--1966

"Turning your amp up will solve most of your problems" - Bugs Henderson

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Natural gas furnace here. With the cold temperatures quite common in the winter, you couldn't be without one. For the summer, we still have a couple of window A/C units.
Craig Brophy
I like to plug a power strip into itself. The current loop generates infinite free electricity!
I've come up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us.
My Facebook, My Music, My Pics

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:48 pm

I put a geothermal system in, which uses a heat pump with forced air for both heating and cooling. I was able to remove the old oil burner furnace that was dirty and LOUD after installing the geothermal system. We have a small propane burning heater to top off the heat or hot water. It's the size of a medium piece of luggage!!

I've been a "fire place fan" from childhood. So, I have a couple of fireplaces, and do burn a couple of chords of wood every winter. It is NOT an efficient heat source. But, I designed my fireplace with stones and put the chimney in the middle of the house. Down side is that it means you have a hole in your roof. The upside is that the stones and the cinder block chimney absorbs heat, and then dissipates it through out the house.

I also have a generator that keeps me going during the rather frequent power outages we seem to get out here in the boonies.
Don

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

I got plowed about an hour and a half ago. We had a good 8+ inches with freezing rain and some sleet to top it off. As he plowed, it had begun to snow again. We've had 4+ inches in the time since he plowed!! We're getting dumped on!! Luckily, I think the snow should end in the next hour or so, looking at the radar.
Don

splitting hare
Charter Member

Post by splitting hare » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:34 pm

We got blasted with 8" of heavy snow last Wednesday night. We are fortunate that it was not more as it was a snow/rain mixture throughout the day that didn't really start sticking until the early evening. As always we are kept warm by our heat pump (brand new, which means there will be no new guitars for me for awhile! :shakesfist:). But often times in such conditions, we have a power failure and 3:00 a.m. Thursday morning was no exception. Fortunately, we do keep a kerosene heater ready (and also use it to supplement those real cold days) and it kept us warm until power was restored 14 hours later. Not too bad other than losing several limbs off of trees in our yard (fortunately nothing fell on the house).
Eric
Soundclick stuff
Soundcloud stuff
"A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Give me a pen - I'm signing, you're signing, we're all signing!" - Lenny Haise