Doc's "RECOMMENDED LISTENING" Thread

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.

Vince
Charter Member

Re: Doc's "RECOMMENDED LISTENING" Thread

Post by Vince » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:07 am

revolead wrote:And of course, I shall torture you all with some Rainbow!

It should be noted that Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie Blackmore were both in the band.

And Cozy Powell too.

I've always liked that version of Rainbow. I have a copy of the live album and still play it every now and then. The first side is absolutely amazing, it's such a tour de force. The others not as much, but it's hard to keep up the momentum, I guess. Great band.

Not sure about the later incarnations though.

revolead
Silver Member

Post by revolead » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:50 am

Blackmore and Dio made that band though. Now that Dio is long gone and Blackmore is doing his own Blackmore's Night project (last time I checked anyway), I would hate to see any Rainbow band remnants that could possibly exist. According to Wiki, it was disbanded in 1984, then reincarnated in the nineties, for whatever that's worth.

The Big G
Silver Member

Post by The Big G » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 am

Any Runrig album..... but for me the better ones are, "Once in a Lifetime" (live offering), "Beat the Drum", "Long Distance" (greatest hits, kind of)

For me a great blend of folk, rock, high energy and atmsopheric music, an outstanding live band and great on record (cd for the younsters lmao) some beautiful moving ballads and great bouncing rock tunes mixed with Celtic folk, what more can you want !!!!!! Plenty I am sure but give some of it a try.

G
Today is tomorrows yesterday

philwbass
Charter Member

Post by philwbass » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:46 am

If you have Spotify you can listen to my schizoid playlist:

http://open.spotify.com/user/philwbass/ ... FlIQUm8XoE

If you don't I'd recommend it, it's very cool!

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I really really like Phillip Glass, ever since the first time I heard a recording of Einstein On The Beach, many years ago. I find the stark purity of his music quite gut-wrenchingly beautiful. It's what I like to imagine ancient Greek music would have souded like, maybe because it all sounds so geometrical. "Something very fresh and clean" indeed. :cool:

This clip is from "Einstein On The Beach" which is a sort of avant garde opera he wrote in the 70s. This is probably the most famous bit of a huge work that can take several hours to perform. IIRC, this is one of the "knees", short musical intervals which link longer pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmX_GgozpQs

This is from the soundtrack to a 1983 film called "Koyaanisqatsi", which means "Life Out of Balance" in Hopi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFwR1c-cdFw

Another bit from Einstein On The Beach. Quite hypnotic, once you get over the "elevator going down fast!" effect of the sudden time-signature changes. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFGRN-WMBw

philwbass
Charter Member

Post by philwbass » Sun May 03, 2009 5:30 pm

I dig Glass too. My wife introduced me to his music. I made a list of my favourite 20 records when a friend encouraged me - it was very tough to choose - you can see the list here:
http://philwbass.wordpress.com/2009/05/ ... ite-album/

Topic Author
mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Sun May 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Loved your list, Phil!! Thanks for that! :thumb:
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Sun May 03, 2009 6:24 pm

philwbass wrote:I dig Glass too. My wife introduced me to his music. I made a list of my favourite 20 records when a friend encouraged me - it was very tough to choose - you can see the list here:
http://philwbass.wordpress.com/2009/05/ ... ite-album/
LOL!!! I started looking at the list and there's "Kind of Blue" and I'm, "Oh, ok... I know this one!" and then... :D :D "Uhm... well... uhmm... I've heard of that guy..." and so on. Oh, well... at least I've heard of Salif Keita, even if it's only through a reference in a Chico Cesar song.

Seriously, it's funny 'cause some of the records you've listed there are by people I myself like, only I have other albums of theirs. In Mingus' case, I have the 1964 Concert (or whatever it's called) and "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" but I never got around to scoring "Ah, Uhm". Joni Mitchell I like, but prefer "Court and Spark" Similarly, I listen to Abraxas frequently (still do) but feel it was a pity that he got into all that jazz stuff on albums like Caravanserai instead of doing more stuff like Abraxas.

philwbass
Charter Member

Post by philwbass » Mon May 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Interesting Vince, I dig Abraxas - it's a stunningly good record - and it's quite jazzy too. I love that early Santana sound almost as much as I love the jazzier stuff. I've not really appreciated much Santana though since the 80s - it became so formulaic. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is a great record but I heard it later in life, Mingus Ah Um hit me right in my formative years.
You should check out some Salif Keita, he's great.
Even in the jazziest Santana line-ups they were still playing tunes from Abraxas which is interesting.
Some neat comments on the site including by John Goldsby who is a world class jazz bassist.
What would be on your list?

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Mon May 04, 2009 8:32 pm

philwbass wrote:What would be on your list?
Tricky question... :P

uhm... These are albums that I've listened to a lot over time or heard recently and know I'm going to like for a very long time. Off the cuff and in no particular order...

There'd have to be something by The Church, either Of Skins & Heart, Priest=Aura or Hologram of Baal. Great jangly psychedelic sound and one of my favourite bands ever.

Remain in Light by Talking Heads

A pop album by Eno, probably Another Green World which is the more "bang for your buck" one, though I like "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy" heaps too. Well, most of it.

An ambient album by Eno, either Music For Airports, Apollo or Thursday Afternoon "Thursday" is kind of like Eno being Eno, so maybe that's not as good.

Parte de la Religion by Charly Garcia. Don't know why, it's just not that good. And yet... Either that or any Sumo album.

Anything with Louis Armstrong's Hot Five recordings. Maybe even Louis and the Good Book. Majorly cheesy but there's some good stuff.

Something by R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders But not "Singing In The Bathtub"

Penthouse & Pavement by Heaven 17. Didn't like anything else they did much. For that synth stuff I could even go for Travelogue by the Human League or Replicas by the Tubeway Army (but it's a poor second)

Something by Ed Kuepper. Some compilation like The Butterfly Net or This is the Miracle Mile would do.

From Her To Eternity Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. They still sound like the Birthday Party but the sound breathes better.

Le Quattro Stagioni by Vivaldi

Any good compilation by Eduardo Falú. Great, great Argentine guitarist.

Buenas Noches, Compatriotas by Atahualpa Yupanqui. As above. The things he did on that live album like the malambo piece "Cruz Del Sur" and whatever the Gato Cordobes was called, at his very late age were incredible.

6 & 12 String Guitar by Leo Kottke.

Koyaanisqatsi by Phillip Glass

Salt Marie Celeste by Nurse With Wound This is an amazing album, it's just two huge massive chords, but so heavily (and delicately) layered so that it never gets boring. It realy does give the sensation of being on a sinking ship on the way to nowhere. Oh, and speaking of sinking ships, maybe I could go for "Mighty Joe Moon" by Grant Lee Buffalo.

Exile On Main Street or something with Mick Taylor and the Stones. Possibly "Beggar's Banquet" or even "Their Satanic Majesties Request" if I couldn't get Mick Taylor. The Stones died for me when he left.

The Last Waltz soundtrack album. There's so much in there.

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash by The Pogues. You can have "Fairy Tale of New York" I never got that song at all.

Canta En Español by Edye Gorme and Trio Los Panchos.

Springhill Fair or Before Hollywood by The Go Betweens. Probably... no, I wouldn't, know which one to pick.

And yeah, Abraxas. Or Y Los Cubanos Postizos. Nah... Abraxas.

I think that's twenty... :D

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums

philwbass
Charter Member

Post by philwbass » Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Brilliant Vince!

There'd have to be something by The Church, either Of Skins & Heart, Priest=Aura or Hologram of Baal. Great jangly psychedelic sound and one of my favourite bands ever.

Never heard of them, will check them out.
Remain in Light by Talking Heads

I was thinking of that the other day, good record, not quite my cup of darjeeling

A pop album by Eno, probably Another Green World which is the more "bang for your buck" one, though I like "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy" heaps too. Well, most of it.
Another Green World is one of my all-time faves

An ambient album by Eno, either Music For Airports, Apollo or Thursday Afternoon "Thursday" is kind of like Eno being Eno, so maybe that's not as good.

Neat, haven't listened to anything ambient for ages - apart from looping stuff from my mates like Steve Lawson and Steve Moyes
Parte de la Religion by Charly Garcia. Don't know why, it's just not that good. And yet... Either that or any Sumo album.
That's new to me too

Anything with Louis Armstrong's Hot Five recordings. Maybe even Louis and the Good Book. Majorly cheesy but there's some good stuff.
I'm with you there, I love Louis. Probably the most important guy in 20th Century music,

Something by R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders But not "Singing In The Bathtub"

Huh?
Penthouse & Pavement by Heaven 17. Didn't like anything else they did much. For that synth stuff I could even go for Travelogue by the Human League or Replicas by the Tubeway Army (but it's a poor second)
Maybe I'll give that another listen

Something by Ed Kuepper. Some compilation like The Butterfly Net or This is the Miracle Mile would do.
Another new one for me to check out

From Her To Eternity Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. They still sound like the Birthday Party but the sound breathes better.
People seem to really like Nick, I never quite got him, I'll give it another go.

Le Quattro Stagioni by Vivaldi

Aha

Any good compilation by Eduardo Falú. Great, great Argentine guitarist.
That will be the first I will check out!

Buenas Noches, Compatriotas by Atahualpa Yupanqui. As above. The things he did on that live album like the malambo piece "Cruz Del Sur" and whatever the Gato Cordobes was called, at his very late age were incredible.
And the second!

6 & 12 String Guitar by Leo Kottke.
Yep, like Leo

Koyaanisqatsi by Phillip Glass

Good choice

Salt Marie Celeste by Nurse With Wound This is an amazing album, it's just two huge massive chords, but so heavily (and delicately) layered so that it never gets boring. It realy does give the sensation of being on a sinking ship on the way to nowhere. Oh, and speaking of sinking ships, maybe I could go for "Mighty Joe Moon" by Grant Lee Buffalo.
I want to hear that

Exile On Main Street or something with Mick Taylor and the Stones. Possibly "Beggar's Banquet" or even "Their Satanic Majesties Request" if I couldn't get Mick Taylor. The Stones died for me when he left.
Yes, those records with Mick had something special. There's a vibe. I never really appreciated them til I had to listen to them to learn covers, there's some great music on them. It's a tragedy t hear the Stones play live now.

The Last Waltz soundtrack album. There's so much in there.

OK, I admire it an aesthetic way more than a personal one
Rum, Sodomy and the Lash by The Pogues. You can have "Fairy Tale of New York" I never got that song at all.
Runs screaming!

Canta En Español by Edye Gorme and Trio Los Panchos.

That's one for me!

Springhill Fair or Before Hollywood by The Go Betweens. Probably... no, I wouldn't, know which one to pick.
Don't know it

And yeah, Abraxas. Or Y Los Cubanos Postizos. Nah... Abraxas.

Abraxas is one of those records that transcends style - it's just great music - it has a sense of mystery and a grand scale - I love the cover too!
I think that's twenty... :D

Wow!
A peek into the musicalvincemind!

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Sun May 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Ooh, I love that song. It was their first big single in Oz, must have been uhmm... 1982 or thereabouts. Great bit of guitar pop, very Byrds-ey. I think that's a really well-crafted song, you have the great intro riff, the rocky bit, to me it's, as they say "small, yet perfectly-formed"

In the US they are most famous for their "Starfish" album and the single "Under The Milky Way Tonight".

Here's another track, from "Priest=Aura".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgtomcpPH8

Phil

Not all the stuff on my list is "recommended listening" it's just stuff that I personally like. Most of the time I don't mention any of these guys because they're not really relevant to a guitar forum.

Penthouse & Pavement is kind of interesting because alongside the 80s dance techno stuff that you'd associate with Heaven 17, they added a studio guy to do bass and guitar tracks. The Pavement side is really quite funky.

Ed Kuepper's an interesting guy. He was the original guitarist with the Saints whose first album "Stranded" was feted by the English rock press (NME and them) and then shot down mercilessly because their second album revealed they weren't quite the "right" sort of punk.

Ed's the sort of guy that makes thirty albums a year at home, his discography is huge. Tours all the time, too. After the Saints, he had a band called The Laughing Clowns, and this is sort of what I mean by "not the right sort of punk" There's the ragged quality to the music one would associate with punk and yet there's something really primeval about it too.

I don't mention him often here because he's not the first guy most people would think of as a brilliant guitarist. He doesn't play a lot of notes and he doesn't laze back into that blues "not many notes, but lots of soul" type thing. He's a hard guy to pigeonhole. He's just... Ed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PeGHeF2AHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCM3hZluYg

harvey
Bronze Member

Post by harvey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 am

got to give my boy BW a plug here, Buddy Whittington, if you like blues.......great player, singer, writer and person :thumb:

Dr. Ellwood
Founding Member

Post by Dr. Ellwood » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:31 pm

Welcome aboard HARVEY!!! great to have you with us!! post often and most of all have a good time!!
I wonder now, what was his fate? Is he on the run? Or did his lights go out tonight? Will he see the sun? Star Trek "It may be the warriors who get the glory, but it's the engineers who build societies."

The String Network Forums