Doc's "RECOMMENDED LISTENING" Thread

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.

Topic Author
mdrs
Founding Member

Doc's "RECOMMENDED LISTENING" Thread

Post by mdrs » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:07 pm

In keeping with the spirit of The String Network, we’ve decided to post this sticky thread as a forum where members can recommend good CD’s, DVD's and music that you’ve “found”.

We specifically have set it up this way to eliminate the possibility of this becoming a flame fest. This thread will serve as a place where we can tell others about new music, CD’s, and DVD’s you enjoy, and think that others might want to check out!!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Rampdog
Charter Member

Re: Doc's "RECOMMENDED LISTENING" Thread

Post by Rampdog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:50 pm

mdrs wrote:We specifically have set it up this way to eliminate the possibility of this becoming a flame fest.

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 pm

So ok, about them flame wars... what happens if someone says "I recommend people listen to so-and-so!" and then someone replies, "So-and-so is just a copy of such-and-such!"

Would that constitute flaming or musical criticism?

ADDED: And what about if someone says "I recommend the XYZ album by such-and-such!" and then someone replies "XYZ is just a rehash of ABC!".

Is that flaming?

I'm curious because I've seen heaps of these threads become people's lists of... stuff, without anybody discussing why they like these albums or artists in the first place.

soggybomb
Silver Member

Post by soggybomb » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:13 pm

perhaps people should always attach a brief description with it or at least a genre or similar artist.
Ibanez RGR4 (Dimarzio D-Sonic/Air Norton) & Ibanez RGA-7 (Seymour Duncan Blackouts) > Morley Bad Horsie > Boss DN-2 > Hughes and Kettner Switchblade (w/Ground Control Pro)

revolead
Silver Member

Post by revolead » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:23 pm

There's always a way to offer criticism without sounding like a jerk. We're all guilty of the "that sucks" mentality, especially as musicians. But as we're taught in grad school, you can hate someone's academic opinion all you want as long as you have good reason and a cogent argument to back it up.

Example 1: Constructive criticism
I thought the newest Dream Theater album, Systematic Chaos was a bit weak. I blame it on overproduction and trying to be too many things for too many people. It didn't suck. But it pales in comparison to Octavarium or they're newer stuff.

Example 2: What to do and what not to do
Me: I love Eric Johnson.
Someone else (good): I do not care for Eric Johnson. The man is a great player, especially his tone. But he plays too many notes and his music tends to carry a pretentious air about it, as though he composed a classical masterpiece.
Someone else (bad): Eric Johnson sucks! He is obsessed with pentatonic major scales and just can't break out of that overzealous soloing crap he's been doing since "Cliffs of Dover." You should just sell his CD for plastic scrap. Oh wait! It didn't even come with a plastic case! Lame!

I would also add that if you recommend a CD it's important to say one or two things about why. Telling everyone that AC/DC's latest album rocks is not entirely helpful. But if you say why it rocks and what sort of music you normally listen to, that would go over much better.

Bill
Charter Member

Post by Bill » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Van Morrison, "Veedon Fleece".

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:05 pm

revolead wrote:There's always a way to offer criticism without sounding like a jerk. We're all guilty of the "that sucks" mentality, especially as musicians. But as we're taught in grad school, you can hate someone's academic opinion all you want as long as you have good reason and a cogent argument to back it up...

Oh, absolutely. That's exactly what I would have said. I just wanted to get some discussion happening on what's allowed before a post is considered flaming.

revolead wrote:I would also add that if you recommend a CD it's important to say one or two things about why. Telling everyone that AC/DC's latest album rocks is not entirely helpful. But if you say why it rocks and what sort of music you normally listen to, that would go over much better.

Definitely.

In the first place, it helps to have some sort of context. If someone admits up front that they are heavily into something I know I don't like, I know that I probably won't find their recommendations interesting. Saves a lot of time and bandwidth, really.

Secondly, it's good to know what exactly one should be listening for? Tone, the musicianship? Historical context? Some unusual recording technique? And is there a standout track or tracks?

We always wind up having these threads where people just blurt out some album they like and never bother to explain why anyone else should be interested.

Rampdog
Charter Member

Post by Rampdog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Vince wrote:We always wind up having these threads where people just blurt out some album they like and never bother to explain why anyone else should be interested.

Well... I don't have a problem with Bandwith as I'm on cable and I've been turned on to some interesting music by someone just throwin' it up there... I can usually tell within the first 10 or so seconds if I'm gonna' like it... As far as buying an album on someones suggestion or listening to someones music without a link well...in that case there would have to be some sort of info givin' by the poster to make me research it...
(I'm likin' this thread so far)

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Rampdog wrote:I can usually tell within the first 10 or so seconds if I'm gonna' like it...

Same here, it's just that if you get like, ten links and nobody tells you that they're all going to be the same style... =P

Rampdog
Charter Member

Post by Rampdog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Vince wrote:
Rampdog wrote:I can usually tell within the first 10 or so seconds if I'm gonna' like it...

Same here, it's just that if you get like, ten links and nobody tells you that they're all going to be the same style... =P

Very true Vince... Fortunatly we are still a small enough family that we all sorta' know each others likes and dislikes... so if one of us throws something out there we kinda', sorta, maybe, well almost, know where it's going...
PS... Hope you had a good Christmas yesterday... (it is tomorrow down there isn't it?)

Vince
Charter Member

Post by Vince » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Rampdog wrote:PS... Hope you had a good Christmas yesterday... (it is tomorrow down there isn't it?)

Yeah, we're into the afternoon of the 26th. There's a Dr. Who marathon (10 episodes in a row) on TV. The wife's camped out in front of the telly, I go in and watch a bit from time to time. :cool:

soggybomb
Silver Member

Post by soggybomb » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:33 pm

i think we should let this thread die and start a fresh one with only recommendations now that some guidelines have been suggested/established.
Ibanez RGR4 (Dimarzio D-Sonic/Air Norton) & Ibanez RGA-7 (Seymour Duncan Blackouts) > Morley Bad Horsie > Boss DN-2 > Hughes and Kettner Switchblade (w/Ground Control Pro)

Topic Author
mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:58 pm

Yea Soggy! It seemed so simple to me.... I'm trying... Honest -I am!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

Bill
Charter Member

Post by Bill » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:45 pm

mdrs wrote:Yea Soggy! It seemed so simple to me.... I'm trying... Honest -I am!

Yeah, I tried to start a new one back on track. We'll see what happens.

Bill

revolead
Silver Member

Post by revolead » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:04 pm

NOTE: Generally, I listen to everything except for hip hop and really bad pop. That includes classical, opera, country, blues, blues-rock, classic rock, heavy metal, hard rock, and progressive rock. These are listed as recommended albums with artists and tracks being secondary. If one track doesn't appeal to you, then try another.

Nicholas Barron - As I Am This Train / Ramon

Part of the Candy Rat Records label, that included such forum favorites as Andy McKee, Nicholas Barron has Vince Vaughn's looks and Johnny Cash's attitude. Featuring elements of blues, acoustic rock, folk, and country, Barron's lively attitude and voice contribute greatly to music that can only be described as eccentric and eclectic. He has a song for every mood, but "Ramon" and "This Train" are my favorites.

Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow Mother Superior

Many musicians nowadays criticize the music scene for being nothing but a hodgepodge of mediocre post-hardcore nonsense featuring singers that sound like drug-laden 14-year-old boys and guitarists with tone resembling construction site. Coheed and Cambria came onto the hard rock scene in that fashion, touring with many such described acts, but since then, have departed dramatically. Led by guitarist and creative frontman Claudio Sanchez, the band features long solos, acoustic intros, and musical ornamentation usually reserved for progressive metal and bands. Their sound can best be described as progressive rock with a healthy influence from Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, and Iron Maiden. Even if you do not care for metal, I highly suggest examining this band. They will give you faith that musical talent has not been lost on today's youth.

Shannon Curfman I Don't Make Promises I Can't Break

She has a Chrissie Hynde attitude but a more blues approach to playing. The first time I heard Shannon was on her first album, Loud Guitars and Big Suspicions, which was written with help from fellow North Dakota guitarist Jonny Lang and features the then-14-year-old Shannon on guitar and vocals. Her second album, Fast Lane Addiction, sounds more mature and less folksy. You can hear her unique blues-rock attitude and sound on such tracks as "I Don't Make Promises I Can't Break" and "Tangled."
Last edited by revolead on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.