Rumble Seat Music; Bad Customer Service

Our cosy little Inn, here at the end of the internet. A great place to sit a spell, and chat with friends. No religion, nor politics, please.
mdrs
Founding Member

Rumble Seat Music; Bad Customer Service

Post by mdrs » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 pm

As you long time "The String Network" folks know, I've been around the block a couple of times with vintage gear; guitars, and amps. Over an almost 30 year time period I've dealt with many, many different dealers, across the nation, and internationally. I've had remarkable experiences, with the vast majority of deals having gone very smoothly. Here's a GLARING exception;

About a month ago, I saw a post on Facebook by Rumble Seat Music (Nashville, TN) for a Pete Townshend signature Rickenbacker. I'd seen numerous postings from Rumble Seat Music, mostly high end, top shelf stuff. I've only ever owned one Rick, and so I was interested.

I PM'ed with my two Rickenbacker "expert" friends, Frank Quarracino, and Tracy Blair. Tracy, who lives in Nashville, graciously agreed to drop in at Rumble Seat, and check out the actual guitar. He reported that it was a good guitar but needed three things; 1. Needed to be intonated. 2. Needed new strings. 3. One of the knobs was misaligned by 180 degrees, and needed to be adjusted. Further, Tracy spoke with the staff at Rumble Seat, and told them that his friend was going to call and would likely buy this instrument, and TOLD THEM FACE TO FACE that the guitar had three issues. They assured him that they'd take care of those 3 things.

Minutes later, I did indeed call, and after a couple of questions, I told the fellow that I'd buy it, as long as they took care of the 3 simple issues. I was assured that they would do so. In fact, the guitar would not ship for four days, so they had plenty of time to take care of these seemingly simple issues. He then quickly rang up my credit card. Cha Ching!

The guitar arrives about a week later. It's beautiful. But, I can't get it in tune. Try as I may, it would NOT tune up. I changed the strings, thinking that maybe it was a bad set of strings. It still would not come in tune, even with the new strings that I put on it.

It quickly became clear that they had NOT DONE ANY OF THE THREE THINGS THAT THEY PROMISED TO DO BEFORE THEY RANG ME UP FOR ABOUT 4G's!! The strings that the guitar came with were OLD. The knob was still off by 180 degrees. And, I spent several hours, and then had my son try, and neither of us could intonate the guitar. I think that the plate that the bridge attaches to is, itself, attached to a slightly off position. And, that plate is NOT adjustable. So, you could not move the saddles far enough to intonate the instrument. I'm sure that there is a way to intonate it, probably with customized saddles, or somehow moving that bridge mounting plate. But, the point here is that RUMBLE SEAT MUSIC did not bother to check it!!

So, I call them, quite unhappy that they'd not done what they told me they would do. If they told me that the guitar would not intonate, I would NOT have bought it. But, having neglected to do what they'd promised to do, they sent me what was essentially a defective instrument.

They immediately agreed to take it back and refund me my money. But, here is the MAIN POINT; They REFUSED to pay for the return shipping.

Now, let's be clear; The reason that the guitar was sent back was because they had not done the 3 set up items that they told both Tracy Blair in person, and me on the phone, that they would do. I made that clear to the guy at the store when I called. He cheerfully said "we don't do that" (pay for return shipping). I made it VERY clear to him that this was their fault, and that I expected them to pay. I asked to speak with the manager, and he said "we don't have a manager. we are all kinda the manager." Okay........so, I asked to speak with the owner. He said that the owner wasn't in the store, but he'd call him to ask. 15 minutes later I get a call, to let me know that the owner isn't paying for the return shipping.

I shipped it back, and paid return shipping myself. Guess what it cost me to ship it UPS back to them?

$59.18

Yea, for 60 bucks the intelligencia at Rumble Seat Music made sure that I'd never send another red cent to them. I've never seen customer service like this at any dealer I've dealt with.

So, the moral of the story? Do business with Rumble Seat Music (Nashville, TN) at your own peril. Buyer Beware!
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=574296

mdrs
Founding Member

Re: Rumble Seat Music; Bad Customer Service

Post by mdrs » Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Here is a photo of an adjustable base plate on which the bridge of a Rick is mounted. You can see that the two screw holes are oblong, NOT a small round circle. This allows you to loosen the two screws, and move the plate up or down. This adjustability means that if one of the saddles if screwed (let's say) all the way back and still is not intonated properly, that you can move the entire bridge so that the proper spot for that saddle can be achieved.

The bridge base plate on the Pete Townshend Signature had a round hole for each of the two mounting screws, so that is was NOT movable. This led to several of the saddles being screwed back as far as possible, and still kept that string out of proper intonation. All Rumble Seat had to do was put on this $15 adjustable plate, and the guitar would have been able to be intonated properly.
Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."
"The guitar is such a great friend... If you play guitar, you are already blessed."

mdrs
Founding Member

Post by mdrs » Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Don

Caevan O'Shite
Charter Member
Location: The Great Spirit's Handprint on a Big Turtle's back (Finger Lakes, Upstate NY, US)

Post by Caevan O'Shite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:01 pm

That is shameful and shisterly crooked, to say the least. Completely unacceptable and dishonest. They deserve zero business.
~Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite~
_ _ ___ _ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _ ___ Image Letterboxed, Hi-Def Telecast

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?